That forbidden D word

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: That forbidden D word
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Sims on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 05:11 pm:

I like to run the original ignition on my T's so I just removed the Bosch front plate distributor from my 25.
when I removed the gear from the cam, I did not find a pin in the gear to keep it from spinning. Did I lose this pin or doesn't it need one?
Next on the face of the cover plate and inline with the end of the cam is a threaded hole. What is fastened there?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim ( www.ModelTengine.com ) on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 05:58 pm:

Did you change the nut holding on the cam gear as well? The distributors I have seen have two tabs on that nut, and two slots on the gear, then another nut holding it all on. Remove all of them and replace them with a stock T cam gear nut, wiper, pin, washer, then the stock retaining nut. I'm interested in the dizzy if your selling cheap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 03:29 pm:

Bosch front plate units use a cam gear that is threaded. It's gear & nut all in one. No need for a pin. Maybe yours had some other gears rigged up to work.

The threaded hole has a hard bolt in it that adjusts up to the end of the camshaft to eliminate end play in the cam. You dial in that bolt and lock it in place with a nut. It's one of the reasons that the Bosch front plate unit is one of the best distributors you can get, if you want a distributor that is. The other benefit is that the gears run in engine oil and are constantly lubricated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Sims on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 04:42 pm:

Thank's guys. I did find a threaded stud in a box of parts that came with the car and put it in the hole. Sort of figured that part out. This cover was covered with a thick layer of gunk so it must have ran with just the nut holding the gear. Might be why the car was parked many years ago.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration