Rocky Mountain brake adjustments

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: Rocky Mountain brake adjustments
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Sacchi on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 05:22 pm:

I recently installed a freshly rebuilt motor, and I am having a difficult time adjusting the brake band to coordinate with the RMBs.

When I get the RMBs to work forward OK, the car won't stop on a hill or going in reverse - it seems as though the pedal will not go down far enough to activate the transmission brake. When I lighten up on the RMB adjustment, the transmission brake will work, but not the Rockies.

I must have gotten lucky when I first installed them with the old motor, because I didn't have this problem then.

Any ideas? Thanks, Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 05:52 pm:

Bob,

The first thing you need to do is adjust the transmission band so that the brake pedal can be pushed no further than 1" above the floor board. Leave the RM EZ slider disconnected and off the car for now.

Next adjust the stock T parking brakes so they are fully set with the handbrake lever vertical or barely rear of vertical. This is necessary because the RM equalizer bar won't allow the parking brake lever to go much further back before it hits the bottom of the transmission / engine pan.

Then adjust the RM brakes so they will stop the car using the handbrake lever in the exact same position. You have to disconnect the stock rear brakes while adjusting during this step. Once the adjustment is proper hook up the stock T brakes again.

Finally hook up the EZ-Slider and adjust the RM brakes so they engage just about 1 1/2" above the floor.

Royce

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 05:54 pm:

Lots of post on the fact that RM do not work well in reverse. Try a keyword search.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Sacchi on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 11:53 am:

Mark, I'm aware that the repop RMB's don't work going backwards. The problem I'm having is getting them coordinated with the transmission brake, so that when I'm going backward the trans brake will work.

Royce, thanks for the excellent info. I believe the RMBs are set up OK (I've been using them for almost 2 years with no trouble - the problem has come up with the installation of a new motor). What I can't seem to figure out is when going backward I can't press the brake pedal hard enough to engage the transmission brake. I adjusted the brake band so it works fine in reverse without the RMBs, but when I reconnect them, it feels as though there is something preventing me from getting the pedal down far enough to engage the trans brake.

I spent over 3 hours yesterday adjusting the EZ slider, but I found that once the trans brake was working OK in reverse, then the RMBs wouldn't work going forward, and then when I had the RMBs working OK going forward, then the trans brake would not work going backward.....

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel Keefer on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 12:07 pm:

Royce's advice on setup is very methodical and IMHO the only way to go!

For some reason when I installed my RMB's I heated and rotated the fitting that goes to the brakes about 10-20 degrees on the crossover part. This allowed me to get the TXM, the RMB's synchronized AND use the handle to set the RMB's by forcing the balancer forward. I have a 14 and left the little drums off.

Now everything works as it should. I needed the TXM to work when I went up Pikes Peak.

An old timer!! that's me now, said if I changed to a different lining the brakes would work in reverse and the rain. I need to do that soon.

Noel

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 01:13 pm:

Bob,

The critical part is to adjust the rear wheel T brakes and the RM brakes to engage at EXACTLY the same point when using the hand brake. You have to diconnect all other connections and set each seperately so you know where that engagement point actually is. Go down the steps, I bet the RM brakes and T rear brakes are not set properly.

Same deal with the foot brake, it needs to be set so the transmission band brake can work too. As a regular maintenance item you need to check and recheck between tours because the RM brakes don't wear as fast as the T brakes.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration