1915 Touring wood question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: 1915 Touring wood question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Snyder on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 07:59 pm:

Hi folks,
Does anyone have a photo of the wood that is under the front and rear seats that the upholstery attaches to on a 15 touring? Also, I could use a photo of the hinges for the seat covers. I have the rear ones which have a dog leg bend in them that looks original but the fronts are missing. I am about 90% sure that I should have metal lids on the car not wooden ones.
Thanks!
Mike Snyder

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 09:35 pm:

Mike,

1. The metal seat covers went with the metal seat frames and the wood seat covers went with the wooden seat frames. If you have any questions about how to tell which seat frames you have see: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/7861.html which has some info on the wooden and metal seat frames and gas tank lids. In general the front and back seat frames would both be metal or both be wood (Note I believe the Canadian cars switched to the metal front seat frame but retained the older style rear seat frame).

2. Yes the metal seat lid hinges had a little jog/bend in them. Below is a picture of the metal gas tank cover seat frame taken from the thread at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/12369.html that goes into a lot more detail. They can be purchased from Joseph (listed in that thread). He makes a great duplicate. He does it more as a favor than a business and yes he has a regular day job.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap Tucker 1915 Model T Ford touring cut off and made into a pickup truck and 1907 Model S Runabout. Sumter SC.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 10:31 pm:

Mike,

1. There were several different body makers and each of them did things slightly differently from the others and over the course of the years 1915-20 they changed some.

2. For the metal seat framed Beaudett body, my 1918 (which should be very similar to the other Beaudett bodies with metal seat frames (note the early 1915 Beaudett bodies had wood seat frames and did NOT have the carriage bolt in the body side just in front of the rear doors – they were done differently). For those metal seat frames, Beaudett (and I would guess other body makers) had non-structural wood tack strips that were attached on the inside of the metal seat frames on the sides and back. The strips were approximately 3/4 inch square. If they rotted away – the upholstery wouldn’t be held – but the seat frame would still easily support a seat cushion. The tacks just went through the upholstery into the wooden tack strip. The heads would have been hidden by the bottom seat cushion. Does anyone know if the tacks went through any welting or if they were just put into the material? My car doesn’t have that feature but then it doesn’t have the original upholstery showing either.

The pictures below are taken from the Mar – Apr 1989 Vintage Ford pages 35-37 and some also appear in Bruce’s book on pages 218-219.

Front Seat with metal seat frame (this one has the metal end caps used 1916 and later – a 1915 would have the upholstery rolled and NOT capped at the end of the arm rest):

Same picture – the red lines show where the tack strips would be located behind the upholstery.

Rear Seat with metal seat frame:

Same picture – the red lines show where the tack strips would be located behind the upholstery.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap Tucker 1915 Model T Ford touring cut off and made into a pickup truck and 1907 Model S Runabout. Sumter SC.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration