Any for-the-public Fordson restorers out there?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: Any for-the-public Fordson restorers out there?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George House on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 11:37 am:

I have a '19 Fordson tractor about 97% complete that I'd like to have restored. Its been 'blasted, primered and in finish Fordson gray (with the correct 'green' shade) with red wheels. Engine has been rebabbited and with new pistons. I'm missing spark and gas rods and will use a later Fordson manifold and will accept most any after market carburetor. Can I specifically request a good tractor restorer here in Texas? Thanks guys.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 10:13 pm:

LOL...If I wasn't so loaded up with your stuff now, I would take it. I know, I know... but things just haven't been going my way lately. To make matters worse, I've got five cars coming in on transports either late this week or early next week. But yours are next. Really!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 10:56 pm:

Boy,am I glad my stuff got there when it did to get in line!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 11:23 pm:

Yeah Mack, I should be out there right now working on yours but I just had to have tonight off. Sucking on a Brandy at this moment. ;)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Vaughn on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 06:47 pm:

George, I did mine myself and don't know of anyone that rebuilds these old machines. I too was missing the spark and gas rods but they were easy to make out of 1/4" rod. I have the Kingston Manifold and use a Holley NH carb with no throttle butterfly (just the rod) because the manifold has the throttle butterfly built into it. Mine runs very nice on mag. I even start mine on mag no hot shot here.

image/bmp
untitled.bmp (182.3 k)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 12:46 am:

I'm working on getting this truck. When I saw the picture, my eyes went straight to the RIGHT. Yes sir, that's an "Old Abe" Case. I'm hoping to get my hands on that too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George House on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 01:13 pm:

Mike,
Thanks for the tractor pic. Were the fenders first offered in '24? I don't know near as much about Fordsons as I do about T s and TT s. Thats why I want one to drive around the ranch. And I don't know what year Fordson manifold I have but the four 1/4" diameter downdraft carb mounting studs inscribe an unusual square 1 7/8" X 1 7/8". . .and it has no butterfly so no Kingston, huh? I've done the ignorant work already - just need someone to breathe the breath of life into it. I was going to look for a suitable carb next month at Chickasha. Anyone else going who has a carb they'd sell me there? Thanks for helping me unhijack the thread Mike.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Vaughn on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 03:38 pm:

George,

I did have to make a connection between the water bath air cleaner and the carb. I had an old brass vacuume cleaner wand that was the correct size and made that connection. The water bath works well it has a float system inside that when the water gets too low it cut off the air and the tractor can't be run until you fill the water tank. I have always used windshield solvent in the tank so it won't freeze. I believe that the Fenders were always an option after 1924. Fenders added about $35.00 to the cost of a tractor so many tractors sold later did not have them. I also believe that Fordsons kind of got a bad rap for flipping over because there were more of them any other tractor at the time there were naturally going to be more accidents. Kind of like more people were hurt or killed in Model T's not because they were more dangerous than other cars but because there were more of them on the road. Ford built 750,000 model F's between 1917 and 1927. The Fordson was the first tractor to use the engine, transmission and rearend housing as the frame of the tractor. It did not have an independent frame.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 03:47 pm:

Ken,when you find a crossmotor Case,let me know! EHEehheehee! I bet it would be the second 1 you found,not the first!

I aint sure but I think the hitch is higher on a Fordson that other tractors.
There was 2 Fordsons about a mile from here.1 on steel and the other on rubber.The 1 on rubber was right where Mr.Little got done with it back in the 50's.Complete down the coils that had started to rot really bad in the coil box.I tried my dead level best to get them.But they thought they were worth a mint.At that time I was offered at least 4 for less than 500 bucks.1 ran with some coaxing.These folkes were wanting a couple 1000 a piece.Someone in the family finally got them,but as with the 30 Chevy he got,I bet he aint done squat with them.
I had a Vac Case.Reworked the hydrolics,had the head redone,radiator recored and alot of other work.But I had fallen off of it once trying to get off and that was a heck of a fall.And after my wreck,I got rid of it.It was hard enough to get on when I was able.
But we still have a 300 seris case and a DE case power unit on the sawmill.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Vaughn on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 06:12 pm:

The hitch on the Fordson is very low. The hitch is actually the end-cap for the worm drive. On the tractor the worm is on the bottom of the differential.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 08:21 pm:

Ok,thanks for straightening me out on that.I have allways heard a Fordson would flip easy,never knew really why.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Phil Mino on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 03:28 pm:

That Case tractor looks like it might be an L, but can't really tell much from the image.

I used this 1936 CO to flip the dirt in the orchard for years.

COCase

Then we got smart, and went "modern" -

DOCase

"...an old one will do the same thing as a new one......"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 09:47 pm:

Here's a better shot. I wanted the one on the left for the wider track. The one on the right may be available as well.

Sorry to get off the Fordson track.

Case Tractors

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration