1923 headlight socket ground

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: 1923 headlight socket ground
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Davidson on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 11:38 am:

I noticed last night that the left headlight was dim in both high and low positions.(32cp/32cp) opened it up and found the adjuster spring lightly corroded and the socket was not grounded well. Has anyone added a grounding wire to the socket assembly, or would it be best to just replace the socket,adjustment screw and spring as required?
Thanks Scott Davidson

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken - SAT on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 01:40 pm:

No need to replace parts unless they're totally shot. Just clean the areas of contact. The bulb socket (inside and out), reflector socket, reflector to bucket and the bucket mounting bolt. A battery terminal brush works good to clean the reflector socket area. A little white grease on the socket area helps fight corrosion. Loosen the bucket bracket bolt and give it turn back and forth to break corrosion then re-tighten. (Check your light alignment.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Davidson on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 03:03 pm:

Ken the white grease should help to keep the corrosion in check, I'll give it a try.
Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim McDermaid on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 07:32 pm:

The socket shell should be shinny nickel plated. The inside of the sleeve on the bucket should be clean and shinny. The spring and screw should be clean and shinny also.

Check that the little brass cotter pin is in the end of the focus screw so it canít be unscrewed too far.

Check that the insert inside the socket lines up with the contacts on the light bulb; these have a habit of working loose and turning slightly. Usually you can turn it back into position and use a punch to stake it in like Ford did.

I had considered attaching an internal wire between the socket and the bucket some place which I donít think would hurt at all.

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 07:56 pm:

Scott:

Your present headlight socket has internal corrosion. That's your problem. Corrosion equals resistance----- electricaly.

The re-pro headlight sockets I bought from Snyder's are first class. Replaced both on the '26, same bulbs, and had a brighter light!! The sockets assure a good ground since they're pressed into the bucket tube and have an adjusting screw that also grounds.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration