Another new lathe

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: Another new lathe
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel Keefer on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 11:57 am:

Hi Fellas,
Seems like lathes are popular these days. I needed one for an A crank conversion I am doing to a '27 powertrain.

This 13" 7 foot bed is a South Bend TKL. The lathe was stored 'carefully! outdoors in a waterproof shed. I have field stripped it mechanically. The bronze spindle "INSERTS" have me baffled. I need some guidance on the setup of the inserts.

The inserts are cylindrical with a split about 1/4 " in width. They have caps that need to be shimmed for an adjustment. HOWEVER, they also have 2 adjusting screws pressing on the bronze bearing with a brass pad on each screw. These 2 pads straddle the gap of the bronze bearing. These can be adjusted inward and they seem to me to press the brass bearing sort of into an egg shaped condition.

How do I set these bearings up??
1 adjust with shim stock initially.
2 Adjust the pads for wear down stream??

Anybody Know for sure?

Noel

Does anyone have the pages that pertain to this adjustment that can scan them and email me??
nlkeefer@aol.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael K Johnson on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 12:19 pm:

I doubt if you will get much help here with that problem. Try the Practical Machinist site. There might be others like it. The following site points to the South Bend blog but you might have to go to their home page and then find the South Bend "forum". The site might seem commercial but it is a mix of machinists with small shops + hobby types and commercial types trying to save money on tech support, I guess.

Good luck. I'm trying now to fix a .002 runout problem on my lathe with a different spindle set up than yours caused by a mistake when turning and drilling the faceplate for a three jaw chuck. Should have done it on a tool room lathe.

Hope this helps:

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=25

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Noller on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 01:47 pm:

Noel:

I teach machine shop in Missouri and I have a parts and instruction manual for a South Bend lathe. We do not have the lathe any more. If this thing could be of use please let me know.

Larry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel Keefer on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 07:57 pm:

Larry,
I guess I can't use email to you. Your name is in black. I think that's what black means.

Larry, I would very much like to have the manual. Please email me with your requirements.

Regards,
Noel

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 10:51 pm:

As Michael suggested, go to the PM website. Here is a link to the SB lathe forum:
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=25.
If you do a Google search for "South Bend Lathe headstock bearing adjustment", a bunch of PM postings will come up.
Google Groups also has a South Bend Forum that is very usefull.

Those little wedges need to be adjusted correctly or your spindle bearings will give you a lot of grief. As I recall, the wedges keep the bearing from collapsing too much when the cap is secured.

Good luck, Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel Keefer on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 01:13 pm:

Thanks Dan,
The bearings have shimstock that is adjusted with thick shims and fine adjusted with several .001 or .002" shims. Realy confusing to shim so close and have a screw adjustment to foul it all up if done improperly.

I am hoping to hear from Larry Noller.

nlkeeferATaolDOTcom

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration