Trailer hitch lube?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: Trailer hitch lube?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Robb on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 12:13 am:

Is it advisable to grease the ball on the trailer hitch? I have wheel bearing grease and white Lubriplate. Or should it be dry?
Thanx,
Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Peterson on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 12:19 am:

Leave it Dry, on some trailers it acts as a ground, and i have never heard of one wearing out

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Who Knows on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 02:05 am:

Not so much for lube but i keep a coat of white grease on the ball to ward off rust. If you use them a lot they do wear and peel chrome clean off. Most all have separate grounds now but a little grease won't hurt that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Hood on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 02:58 am:

I leave it dry, grease is too messy. You'll bump into it and have grease all over your pants leg. I know someone who puts a sandwich bag over the ball before connecting the trailer. He just lays it flat over the ball so that there is actually two layers of plastic. He believes that the plastic slides on itself like a lubricant.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Frink on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 03:02 am:

The ball will take a long time to wear out, but the coupler will wear. With all the movement, side to side and up and down, lubricant is a good idea. To keep from spreading the grease from the ball to clothing, some people split a tennis ball to cover the ball when it is disconnected.
Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Frink on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 03:05 am:

I haven't tried it, but slip-plate (the John Deere graphite paint) would probably work good for lubricating that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa in Poulsbo, WA on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 09:44 am:

IMHO any two metal surfaces that rub together under load should be lubricated. As far as being a "Knee Gitter" - anyone who leaves their ball in the receiver when not in use, deserves to have their knee whacked (a pet peeve of mine).

Be_Zero_Be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Fultz on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 10:35 am:

Don't quote me on this, but in WV the law requires you to have grease on the ball.
Also they will not put a inspection sticker on the auto with the ball mount in the receiver.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 10:43 am:

It is illegal in Louisiana to drive with the hitch in the receiver, not that anyone cares or gets ticketed for it. It seems that the police department here is busy covering their you-know-whats since the alleged unfilmed beating of Ms. Garbarino.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James H. Daw on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 10:46 am:

I keep mine greased lightly and I keep it in the receiver all the time. Taking it out would mean having to deal with storing it inside the truck.
Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Sims on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 10:53 am:

Keep in mind that grease and dirt makes a very good grinding compound. Grease the reciever or you might never get it apart. Also any movement between the ball and socket and you do have problems.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken - SAT on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 02:58 pm:

If that were the case, why do you lube your Model T? Heck, you better drain the oil out of it too. There's all kinds of crud in there to wear parts.
Geez, nobody said you had to leave the grease there all the time. Wipe it off/out when you're done.

I've left my receiver in all the time ever since a lady rear-ended my new Jeep in 93. It put scratches on my plastic bumper cover and did about $3800 damage to the lady's car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas J. Miller on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 03:04 pm:

I use grease and believe the ball should never provide the trailer ground. The white wire in a flat four connector and and a dedicated terminal in a Bargman seven are specifically there for grounding purposes. Even with grease, I have seen wear on my 2-5/16 ball after a long trip.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 04:15 pm:

Yes,the trailer ball could provide a secondary ground,but you should not depend on that.Allways use the white wire,that is provided on the 4 prong,and 7 prong connectors for the ground.
Useing the ground just through the trailer ball could cause tailights to blink at night,looking like a turn signal to the driver behind,and could be dangerous.

80% or more of trailer light problems can be traced back to a bad ground.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kirk Peterson on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 04:28 pm:

Dont forget the locking hitch pin. Talk about the teter-toter (sp)? in the park. And $800 bucks for a new tailgate.

Kirk Peterson
Santa Fe, NM

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nelson Jones on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 10:41 pm:

When I towed travel trailers they sold a product called on the ball hitch lube so I guess the hitch mfrs. thought the ball needed lube. Nelson

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 11:06 am:

Bob _ There IS one thing that can be said for your "pet peeve" tho', my Dad got rear-ended by a drunk in a brand new full sized Ford one time, and when the smoke and steam cleared, the Ford was left with the grill, front bumper and radiator pushed into the front of its engine, and my Dad's car never got a scratch; all of which he attributed to the hitch ball left in the hitch receiver!......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grady Puryear on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 12:14 pm:

I have been pulling trailers with a bumper mount hitch from back when one used an old valve for a pin, the ball hitch is great. I have always believed in grease, and have always used a bit of Lubri Plate, and have always used a ground wire, works for me. Like Ken and Harold, I too was rear ended several years back, the lady that hit me dead centered the hitch, scratched a bit of paint, but totaled her car and broke my neck. I use a tennis ball when I think about it, but lately take mine off and keep it in the tool box, too many visitors from down south that want a cheap one.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration