Transmission and oil temperature

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: Transmission and oil temperature
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim ( www.ModelTengine.com ) on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 12:05 pm:

Has anyone installed an oil temp gauge on their T? I'm trying to find out what the highest temp these transmissions routinely can get up to. I see posts about water temp, but no oil temp.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim ( www.ModelTengine.com ) on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 01:48 pm:

After the emails I can see I didn't get my question across in a clear manner. This is not a question about oil. I am curious to see if anyone can tell me what temperature the metal inside the engine is, mainly the transmission parts. Nothing to do with oil, viscosity, color, or flavor! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken - SAT on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 02:34 pm:

There's an engine diagram that shows just that floating around somewhere. I had a copy on my old computer but that's gone. It could be in one of the books. My memory of the chart is not all that good but I seem to recall the pan oil temp was around 200. But the chart didn't make clear if the temperatures were over ambient or just a reading.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ttyoder on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 04:40 pm:

Oil temperature measured on an outside 1/2inch oil line will eventually reach about 10 deg below the watter temp measured at the watter outlet. 2-3 hrs. of hard driving. Oil temperature also changes with viscosity of oil. I have seen 10degree difrence by viscosity.
Dean Yoder

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Hansen on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 04:43 pm:

I have a temperature sender mounted in the bottom of the transmission. On a hot summer day running on interstate type highway with relatively flat surface at speeds around 50 MPH (plus-minus) for a distance of 5 to 7 miles, the gauge indicates on the high side approximately 195-198 degrees. Easy running (on regular low traffic roads) around 35-45MPH the temperature gauge indicates in the 180 range. I use a water pump and thermostat. It is amazing how fast the temperature drops after the ignition is turned off, lot of metal to radiate the heat

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim ( www.ModelTengine.com ) on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 05:18 pm:

Great answers! Any of you sit in parades on 100 days with the radiator boiling over? I'm looking for the worst case core engine temp's here. I'll tell you why later.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim ( www.ModelTengine.com ) on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 12:35 pm:

I need some more help on this project. I need to know what the load force is between the triple gears and the drum gears. Is anyone on here smart enough to figure it out? I'm certainly not!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration