Inconsistent coils

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: Inconsistent coils
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wade Pack on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 02:54 pm:

Hi again to all the great T guys that have helped me in the past. I bought some re-conditioned coils from Snyders back in the summer of 07. I would say they have less than 5 hrs run time on them, as I have not ran the 25 much at all while working on cleaning it up. lately I have to "tickle" the coils after starting, and notice that at least 1 coil is very inconsistent. I have moved it around, and the problem follows the coil. The box and contact points all look to be in top shape.
Would anyone like to test my coils if I send them to you? I would certianly compensate you for your time and any parts that you may need.

Thank you!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph Wayne Rudzik on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 03:52 pm:

Wade,
You might try to reset the coil points as prescribed in "The Model T Fordowner," by Murray Fahnestock. Very clear and easy to do. Or you might try running a point file or emery cloth between the points to clean off in gunk.
Yes, gunk can be on new points and needs cleaning.
I put in a renewed set of coils last summer and had to do this. But, since I have a handcrank tester, I also regapped the points and the coils have worked great since.
Even new and reconditioned equipment sometimes needs to be checked even out of the box.
Hope this helps ya.

Joe R.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brent Mize on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 05:25 pm:

The best person to check your coils is Ron Patterson the "Coilman". Trying to set and adjust points without the proper equipment will surely lead to disaster. Ron will be very honest with you about what your coils will need. I hope this helps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 08:15 pm:

Where you at Wade ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 09:17 pm:

Wade
Send can me your coils and I will be happy to check and evaluate them free.
I have rebuilt 11,000 Model T coils and no one to my knowledge is complaining. I will provide you an objective technical analysis and recommend a course of action. I have done this many times and it usually results in correcting the work for someone who is selling inappropriatly rebuilt/adjusted coils.
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 09:31 pm:

your 4 coils will fit in 1 of the flat rate boxes with good padding.
Ron does good work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wade Pack on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 11:32 am:

Thanks, Gary Tillstrom has offered to check my ciols for me. Thanks Ron, I have no doubt you are "the coil man".
Steve, Im in the Tyler Texas area.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 12:48 am:

Chris Daily - what part of that big state of your's you in ? Wade needs coils checked !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Dailledozue on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 09:22 am:

Thanks Steve, Wade I am just north of the Dallas area in Sherman, TX. If your coming through for Chicksaw I would be happy to put them on the Hand Cranked Coil Tester for you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 10:13 am:

I will have a strobo-spark at Chicasha and would be happy to check them for you at Chicasha so long as my swap space has power to plug it in. It should since I am fairly certain we have same space as last year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel Denis Chicoine, MD on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 03:32 pm:

Come on John,
It should be easy for an electrical wizard like you to power a generator off a T engine for power at your booth. How about a belt drive off a raised rear wheel? Think of the hords of customers it would bring.
Noel

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 08:05 pm:

Noel:

I have learned in my old age to do things the easy way or the heck with it. I use easy high tech to make low tech. ha ha.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 08:24 pm:

I have a belt pulley clamped to a 21 inch demountable wheel you can borrow!
A freind in the club gave it to me.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration