Might be getting a Model T ford for free....need advice....

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: Might be getting a Model T ford for free....need advice....
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dt1028 on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 06:18 pm:

My name is Don and I am a 25 year old Texas State student in San Marcos, TX.

My bosses grandmother is giving away a bunch of her stuff because she is moving in with her sister. She has a model T in the garage that belonged to her late husband. Since my boss and her sister know nothing about cars and don’t really have a place for it she is probably going to give it to me.

From what my boss recalls, she used to take rides in it in the 1980s with her grandfather but she is not sure at what time it was garaged and had the wheels removed.

The wheels are all there from what she said just not attached to the car.

I asked my boss what type of Model T and she said it was a hard top.

So this is all I know
1. The car drove around in the 1980s.
2. The car has been kept in the garage
3. The car is a “hard top”

I have yet to see the car so I can only guess on the condition.

The advice I need is the following:

Is there some websites with pictures and descriptions of how to work on these cars?

What should I look at when I check out the car?

I have a feeling it was a restored model T that was put into the garage for storage. So I assume possibly after replacing the fluids and cleaning up the carb and a new battery it might just start.

If I do get the car it would be a pretty cool project because all the guys my age are interested in the cars of the 60s and 70s.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy Schultz-Rathbun, 26 Roadster on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 06:39 pm:

Hi Don, welcome to the Model T world. I'm a newbie myself, having owned a '26 roadster for about a year now. There is a wealth of information on the web (this is one great place to find it), literature, and better yet, very helpful people dedicated keeping these cars running and driving them. They were built to be maintained and operated by the common man, and for those things you can't do yourself, there are some wonderfully talented folks lurking on this forum who can help. If it's offered free, take it! But beware, once bitten by the Model T bug, the addiction is hard to shake!

Check out the Model T Ford Club International, (MTFCI), the Modet T FordClub of America (MTFCA), and find a local club. The local club members in my neck of the woods are great (Rose City Model T's in Portland).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dt1028 on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 07:00 pm:

There does seem to be a ton of information on this site. Gonna take a few days to go over it all.

From looking at the pictures, the Model T seems VERY familiar to the older Ford tractors that I have brought back to life.

I am one of those guys that can not stand to see a piece of machinery not running....lol

One thing i have noticed about the Model Ts is you don't see guys my age with them. That is why i think it would be a unique project. Trade speed for style so to speak...hehe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Harris on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 07:08 pm:

Hello Don,

I'm in the Dallas area, but know folks in your area and there is a local club to you - The Cen-Tex Lizzies. I'm sure if you contact them, through this website that you will find someone to help you. There is another newly formed club out of Bryan called the Texas Touring T's - and they are a great group of folks that love to drive their cars.

Your best bet is to hook up with someone locally that can go with you to look at the car, get her started and then teach you how to drive it.

Good luck,

-Kathy Harris

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Otto Baron on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 08:19 pm:

I've had a T since I was a teen, and driving a T can be a lot of fun. Out of curiosity, is the car a Coupe (One seat) or Sedan (Front and Back Seat)? If it's a sedan, does it have 2 doors or 4 doors? The number on the engine can give a clue to the year. This information would be helpful when seeking advice or ordering parts. Attending a local chapter of the MTFCA or MTFCI, could get you in touch with some experienced T people who could give you some useful points.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 09:08 pm:

If it is free,and you are offered it,dont worry about "hard top" Soft top or NO top, no wheels,.Just git the dang thing and worry about details later.If you have worked on older tractors,A T will be a experiance with a few new tricks to learn ,but it wont be hard to do.The normal ,gummy carb,gummy gas tank,dead corroded battery,wires that need tapeing up and so on.You can handle it.And if you need help,the members on this forumn can provide it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT FOWLER on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 09:48 pm:

From my experience, the fewer people who know about this car the better...at least until after you hopefully take ownership. Secondly, if you are indeed offered the car, the correct response is "YES". Then as Mack said, don't worry about hard top, soft top whatever... you'll have a barn-find "T" !! There are many detailed manuals etc. on how to service and/or restore a T. Where those leave off, the guys on this forum are experienced in the ways of the T. If this works out, and I hope it does... post a picture so we can all drool on our keyboards. Best of luck!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William E. Harris on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 09:52 pm:

Don here are your contacts in your area:
Cen-Tex Tin Lizzies (A)
c/o Nicholas Unger
4118 Hamilton Hollow
San Marcos, TX 78666
T/o Julius Neunhoffer
2505 Lower Turtle Creek Rd.
Kerrville, TX 78028
Dickinson, TX 77539
T Fords of Texas (I)
c/o James Deatherage
606 River Springs Dr.
Seguin, TX 78155
Contact any of these persons--they will be glad to assist you.

Bill Harris

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDaniel (Indiana Trucks) on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 10:14 pm:

Don,
Get the car and then call me and I will help you out by putting it in my garage here in Indiana! LOL

You know I am just kidding, but do get it even if she wants you to buy it. I bought my first complete T in Sept. and later found out it had not run since 1965. It took me 2 days and it was running and I have put over 360 miles on it already. If it would stop snowing I would have 10 times that on it by now! I am a body man and still it is easy to fix everything I have run into so far on the engine and transmission. One thing I would point out in case the front wheels are off and you need to put the nut back on the spindles is one is a left hand thread and the other is a right hand. I forget which side was a left hand but think it was the passenger side front. This will be important to you if you want to mount that front wheel back on the car to move it and others here will tell you if I am wrong on which side it is.

Good luck and get some pictures to show us!!

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 01:32 am:

Hi Don

Depending on what sort of time frame you are looking at, a great resource to get is Model T Ford the car that changed the world by McCalley.

The book has great pictures and information. It was a great supplement to the advice of everyone here on the forum when I was looking to buy my car. I think I got my copy of the book from amazon and they were offering a special deal where they gave you $30 towards any purchase. As a college student $30 is often a nice gift.

Good luck and I hope you get it! Try to get pictures and post them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Elkins on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 05:47 am:

Make sure you get a title or other means of registering the car as required by your state. It is getting very hard in a lot of places to title a car is you don't have one in your name.

And good luck to you. Nice to see another pre-50 guy gettin into T's. You're welcome here and someone can answer any question you might have. No such thing as a dumb question!

Ray

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy Schultz-Rathbun, 26 Roadster on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 02:50 pm:

Don't worry about being the only one your age with a T. I'm 50 and young for my club, but we have an 18 yr old with a speedster in the club, and more importantly.....

My T gets more attention at the car shows than the muscle cars, especially from the young ladies! My teenager thinks it's a chick-magnet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By LukeC on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 02:41 pm:

Hey Don, I am in the Schulenburg area which is only 80 or so miles from San Marcos and would be happy to look the car over and check the condition with you. Their are several people under 30 in the area clubs. Email me at modeltman@gmail.com if you have any questions. We will also be having a tour in Johnson City in April, so if the car is an easy start up and drive find, you are welcome to join us.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration