Rear lowering bracket questions

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: Rear lowering bracket questions
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 09:53 pm:

I dont have any desire to cut my speedster chassis,but I have fiqured how to lower the front,but not the back.I have thought about getting the springs bent,but that would mess up good parts,cutting the chassis would be hard to reverse,and I cant understand the brackets that bolt in with the radius rod bolts.looks like the spring would have to be shorter to work with that kind of bracket.
I aint fond of this method but I am studieing it,but I dont understand the items marked with ?'s.
If the bracket is welded to the crossmember,what is the 2 long bolts marked in blue for?from what I see on the net,these brackets are welded to the crossmember.
And why would you cast a big square hole in the bracket marked in green?
And another thing,is a cast bracket a good idea? Looks like a flaw in 1 of the castings would mean bad news.And for what these brakets can be had for on ebay,I doubt they have been xrayed for flaws.
I am thinking if I go a route like this,to have a freind use a plasma cutter to cut me 2 peieces out like this from some 1 inch boiler plate or similar metal and leave out the square holes.

I would also like to know more about the brackets that bolt up to the radius rod bolts on the axle houseings.if a standard spring can be used,i like that idea for sure.It is a reversable procedure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Campbell on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 10:04 pm:

Mack, on my speedster I'm using a higher arched rear crossmember from Lang's. I just replaced the old crossmember with the new and rivited in place. No cutting and if I want i can switch back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Fielding on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 11:45 am:

Mack,
The brackets are manufactured by Bill Bohlens in California. I purchased a set directly from him and in my opinion they were of exceptional quality. I have seen some of his other items and I believe that they are of similar quality.
As far as the brackets go, they are ment to be bolted on as well. The frame needs to be cut off 2-3" or so, I don't remember which, and then the brackets are bolted to the inside of the frame. Next you position the crossmemeber and drill the brakets and the crossmember. The long bolts go through the braket and the crossmember. The only thing I added was sleeves to these bolts to keep the crossmember from crushing. (I am sure not necessary, but it made me feel better).
The holes in the castings, I would imagine have somthing to do with either reducing casting shrikage or weight.
I have no connection with Bill, and have only spoken with him over the phone, but I appeciate the fact that he is willing to produce parts.
His add is on the Parts Supplier page, but here is a link.
http://www.antiquetmotorsports.com/
As far as I know he is the only one that makes a staggered seat, I wish I would have known when I was putting my speedster together.
Hope this helps,
Kevin

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 11:55 am:

Dave,thanks for the tip,I couldnt find it in the catalog but I will keep looking.
Kevin,thanks for the user report on those brackets.
I did find reverse eye bottom springs,now that looks to be a viable,easy to change back idea.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Campbell on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 12:15 pm:

Mack
Fall 2007 catalog page 132 item 823. I also used the reverse eye springs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 01:12 pm:

Thanks Dave,a Bad case of duh-uh for me on that 1.Aint to pricey either.
Dave,could you tell me about how much the crossmember and the reverse eye spring lowers it from stock?

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration