Windows, window regulators, ups and downs..............

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: Windows, window regulators, ups and downs..............
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Jeandrevin on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 08:09 am:

Ok, I finely compiled all the parts for my windows. I have the window regulators, the felt tracks, the upper rubber baby bumpers, the cat's whiskers, etc, etc.

I am going after work today, if I ever get out of here on time, to buy the glass.

I cut 1/4" plywood scraps to size to test the window regulators etc. Worked great!

My question is this: Is the glass heavy enough to slide down and stay with the window regulator arm? I have heard mention of some sort of strap made from scrap seat cloth. Is this added to the bottom track of all glass to pull it down? If so......How was that part done?

Thanks in advance,
Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Elkins on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 08:26 am:

Tim, I think you saw the talk about the TT windows. TT's don't have window cranks or regulators. They have a strap that attaches to the bottom of the glass and runs out the top. You pull on it and the glass comes up. It fastens to a small pin on the inside of the door to hold the glass up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Jeandrevin on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 08:48 am:

OH.....I know what you are talking about now. I saw an early center door that had the window straps. Ok, so just the weight of the window keeps it down onto the window regulator arm?

Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Morse on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 09:22 am:

Tim, the weight of the glass should be sufficient to keep the glass on the arm. I've got an original door with glass, but the glass does not slide easily or stay on the arm because the channels are loose and out of alignment. If your glass doesn't slide up/down fairly easily check the alignment of your window channels.

By the way, what kind of regulators did you use?

Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Jeandrevin on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 09:34 am:

Mike,
A club member gave me a great deal on window regulators. He had several different types. For the Doors, I used a type he thinks are out of a center door. They are oval plates with a large gear in the center and a smaller gear on each end. The window arm comes off the bottom smaller gear.

For the quarter windows, I used a window regulator that is really cool. It is a long rectangle. on the back side is a surpentine slot. There are about 6 or 8 gears inside each turning the other. The "pin" that the window rides on slides up the surpentine slot.

I am sure most on hear know exactly what I am talking about. It was really cool seing all the different types over the years. He actually had several other types too. I got two of each stile, a top section of the windshield, and some other window garnish from him for 50 bucks.

I had to be creative to get them in under the windows. That is why I made the plywood "windows" to make sure everything would line up right and work properly. So far.....so good.

I know the "purists" are goning nuts hearing what I am using, but lets be honest. Will anybody ever know once the door skins are on?

Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Sims on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 10:18 am:

Tim, the arms should have a roller on the end. this roller goes into a channel on the bottom of the window channel. Simular to how the rollers on a overhead garage door works in the rails. These rollers both lift up and pull down the glass.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Jeandrevin on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 10:47 am:

Jim,

Aaawww, that explains that extra "track" on the bottom of the main track. That is the one piece I have yet to get for the bottom of the glass.

Ok, now I get it, thanks Jim

Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 10:49 am:

Tim the machinest makes new rollers from brass. They run $7 ea.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Morse on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 09:06 pm:

Tim, would you mind emailing me? I've contacted you in the past about our tudor restorations and somehow I can't find your email. Got a few more questions for you if you don't mind.

Thanks!

Mike Morse

mhrbmorse@verizon.net

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john curry on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 09:48 pm:

tim, are parts available to repair, rebuild window regulators? i resorted to a different system, at least until i put the interior back in. john
it works

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 09:54 pm:

John, If you have the gears,gear boxes and rollers can be had.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Jeandrevin on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 08:07 am:

John,
I think some parts are available for rebuild. The problem I had was the originals for my car were the type that had the babbit housing for the gears. That type are all rotted and falling appart now and there are vertually none left worth trying. The only fix possible involves casting a new housing out of brass. That gets more expensive than I can, or will pay. That is why I went to the different style window regulator. Once the door skins are on, nobody will ever know. My car is a driver, not a show car so it just isn't worth the expense of casting new housings to me.

Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie in Houston on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 10:44 am:

Tim, for your information, Center Doors do not use window regulators like other closed cars do. The early ones used pull up straps and the later ones had a track with little arms sticking out that were up the sides of the glass.
Also you need to get some strips of rubber/felt from the glass place that wrap around the bottom of the glass and are used to hold the glass in that track that you will install on the bottom of the glass. These strips are about one inch wide and you cut them to the length of the track.
Without them the glass will not stay in this track.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 01:35 pm:

Tim, the type of regulators you are talking about were die cast zinc. I have the same problem with my 24, I do have one real good one for a pattern that I plan to reproduce at some latter date (lords willing) by the lost wax process and maybe help some other folks out too. Right now I just have to many irons in the fire! Happy T days! KB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Jeandrevin on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 09:43 pm:

Willie,
I talked to the guy at gas light when I ordered the window tracks (which came today). I asked him if there was a rubber strip or anything I needed. He said, the true way to do it was a cork liner, but what he has always done was shoot the track full of black silicone and set the glass right into it. That is what I was planning on doing. Any thoughts on that?

Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie in Houston on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 10:55 pm:

Tim
That will work also. It might be a little hard to remove if you ever had to do that, so you will need to make sure it is on in the right direction before the silicone sets.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration