Boyd Coddington has passed

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: Boyd Coddington has passed
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 01:58 pm:

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080227/FREE/467772614/1065

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jimmy Benedetto on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 02:39 pm:

You think it is possible that he died of aids from screwing so many customers?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jkcallin on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 02:49 pm:

Whether you cared for Boyd or not, that is a really chickens**t remark. The man is dead. He had a family and people that loved him. I hope better is said of you when your time comes

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Sizemore on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 02:51 pm:

Jimmy, Those types of comments are not necessary or wanted.

That is sad news.
JS

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jimmy Benedetto on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 03:21 pm:

Please except my sincere apologies and feel free to remove this post. I have a good friend that was effected in a negative way by him and lost lots of money and a fine car. You folks are right, that is neither here nor there. I should have not spoken ill of the dead. I know better than that. Please don't judge me by this post. I let my emotions get the best of my fingers!
God bless
Jimmy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 03:53 pm:

Well,regardless of what we thought of him,it is bad news for the familys and freinds of the man.
We all let our mouths and fingers get ahead of our brains.It is human to make mistakes,accept responsablity for them,and it is also human to learn from them.

Just be thankfull we are still around to make changes in our ways.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 04:26 pm:

It is no secret that, in life, Boyd Coddington had few admirers on this site and God knows, anyone who ever read any of my posts regarding him knows that I never had anything good to say about him, especially when he demolished that beautiful little mint condition 1926 Model T coupe, but now that he is gone, I'm at a loss for words, so, out of respect for you all, who are being so kind, generous and respectful toward him, his family and those that loved him, I'll leave it at that. Respectfully, Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Elkins on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 04:28 pm:

Sad news. I can't say I loved the man, but being involved with the magazine circles a bit and having mutual friends I grew to respect him. Just because he stood on the other side of the fence from a lot of us, he was still as passionate about the hobby as the rest of us. He was an innovator and a leader, don't let the television show fool you. A lot of the stuff on there that depicted gearheads as idiot morons was staged for the dramatic effect. The loss of any celebrity car fella is not a good thing for the hobby. Folks like him, Foose, Jay Leno, etc. help show the positive side of old cars to the public, and influence a new generation of car enthusiasts. By the way, I watched the show religiously as long as it was on.:-)

My condolences to his family and friends.
Ray

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim ( www.ModelTengine.com ) on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 03:46 pm:

I hope as many people mourn my passing as are his.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 03:49 pm:

The funeral home staff will have to shed a tear to at least make it a crowd when I pass.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Elkins on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 04:15 pm:

Now Mack! You knw that ain't true!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Weir on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 04:46 pm:

Regardless of what is thought of the remark above,it takes a man to issue a public apology so quickly and completely.

Sincerely

Jim Weir

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 05:03 pm:

Yep,Jim you are correct.He made a mistake,and apologized for it.So that should be the end of it.
I just quoted my dad when I typed that phrase above Ray.I would hope it aint so myself!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Guy D Nelli on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 06:23 pm:

i keep telling my wife it's latter than you think. (she's still working 11 hour days)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Niedzielski on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 12:35 am:

If we look at the bigger picture, what this all REALLY means is that you should spend more time in the shop, your buddy's shop or in/under your car and LESS time at the office or doing stuff that is not so important! All of us do not know how much time we have to play with our toys! Some times "later" might not happen you know.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 12:50 am:

"..and LESS time at the office.."

That's the work-aholic calling the kettle black if I ever heard it (said in good hearted fun - Hi Ed!)

Regards,
Garnet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 09:48 am:

It has been remarked that no one on his deathbed ever said, "I wish I'd spent more time at the office."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rolly on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 09:58 am:

A man should not leave this earth with unfinished business. He should live each day as if it was a pre-flight check. He should ask each morning, am I prepared to lift-off?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 11:29 am:

Because of Mr Coddington, it is now much more difficult to register a legitmate antique car in California. He was no friend of the real antique car hobby.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Elkins on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 11:42 am:

I agree, Larry. Had he been sensitive to the antique car hobby, he would have chopped up basketcases instead of drivable cars. I recall too, an episode of Monster Garage where Jesse James paid something like $12 or $15K for a really nice original, unrestored A sedan and destroyed it. Ripped out the original interior, cut the fenders off with a torch, chopped the cowboy hell out of the top, and built his twisted version of a "traditional" hot rod (albeit a real traditional hot rod ain't got no Chevy engine). He could have bought a comparable body and frame rails (eventually all that was used from the car) for <$2K and built the same car, but it was almost like he enjoyed trashing one that was nice. I don't watch any of his shows anymore, just sort of lost all respect for him and his work after that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 11:42 am:

That is due to fact that he would register his souped up creations, with all the modern bells an whistles, as antiques, I believe, to get around the strict California environmental and emmissions laws and was convicted and fined for it. Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Elkins on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 12:07 pm:

I should have said "had he been sensitive to the antique car restorer's hobby".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.M.Head on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 01:59 am:

I don't know much about the man, except he hightened awareness and interest in old cars. How he died, I do not know. How he conducted his business affiars, I do not know. That he built some neat cars, I agree. He died young. Those who can - do, those who cannot - watch it on television.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration