Lining For External Contracting Small Drum Brakes

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: Lining For External Contracting Small Drum Brakes
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren F Rollins on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 04:21 pm:

What is the best lining for small drum brakes, Rocky Mountain, AC ,etal?
I am looking to reline with one that has good wearing as well as best wet band-gripping properties.What about Kevlar? Something else?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Houston, Broken Arrow, OK on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 08:25 pm:

Warren, I don't know if it's the best, but we use a molded lining from McMaster Carr. Using an old drum we glue the lining on with J B Weld and after drying set the rivets perhaps deeper than normal. We have several sets in use with good feedback.

The maker of the Rocky Mountain brake uses what appears to be a similar molded lining.

Dan McEachern, former distributor of the Reproduction A C small drum brake used a woven lining.

I don't know what kind of lining Glen Chaffin uses on the Reproduction Bennett lining.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren F Rollins on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 02:42 pm:

Thanks for the information Fred. I went to McMaster Carr web site and I assume that you use the non metalic lining. Does it come in rolls or is it precut?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 04:17 pm:

Youy can buy it by the foot. Specify your width, thickness and length.

They're a great company to deal with!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration