Driveshaft nut Question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: Driveshaft nut Question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By larry on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 09:11 pm:

I have put on the pinion to the shaft and when i tighten the nut i cant get it to line up with the coter pin hole
I have tried grinding the nut face to seat lower
but i cant do too muth for it might weaken the nut i have used washers but cant find a proper one
Question --can i drill a new coter pin hole on the shaft when i get it torqued tight?
Thank you ---larry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nelson Jones on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 09:22 pm:

I f you are sure you have enough torque on the nut you dont much chioce. I guess it would depend on how far off you are. Idont think it would hurt anything to take a little off the nut but I would not take a lot off. Nelson

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Martin on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 09:47 pm:

I had the same problem. Check the graingers online catalog for shim washers. They are hardened steel, and you can "tune" it in and not compromize the shaft. I would not drill another hole in the shaft.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 09:55 pm:

Since the thing is 5/8-18 thread and the MOST you could be off is a wee bit less than 1/6 of a turn. 1/6 of a turn of the nut is .0093 movement on its face so figure out what proportion you need. If you need enough to go about half way to the next flat on the nut then that would be half of .0093 or about .0046. You can safely face off a nut that small amount. Just get our your micrometer or dial caliper and some sandpaper and put the sandpaper on a flat surface and rub the nut across it in a rotation pattern and measure its thickness as you go. it won't take much to remove what you need.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Belland on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 10:11 pm:

JOHN REGAN has the fix just use emory cloth and sand the nut across this surface in a figure 8 pattern and measure as you go. RAY

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 10:18 am:

I forgot to mention to be sure to clean the nut very carefully. Sandpaper grit and especially emory are gifts that keeps on giving!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 10:38 am:

If you are using the correct pinion gear castle nut, it should line up. Are you sure someone before you did not istall a standard castle nut in place of the thinner pinion gear casle nut? In Lang's Catalog that special pinion castle nut is number 2598. As I said, it is thinner than the standard castle nut. Perhaps you need to order one, instead of trying to make the wrong one fit. They are only $2.25 each. Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 10:51 am:

PS. As I re-read your question, I see where you are trying to face the nut in order to make it thinner, so that the the shaft hole will be revealed at the base of the castle nut groove. If the hole is covered by the threads of the nut and thus, does not even appear in the groove, I am certain that the nut you have on there is a standard nut, and therefoere incorrect, so no amount of shimming will help, for that will only increase the distance between the shaft hole and the castle nut groove. Jim

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration