Coil Part Identification

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: Coil Part Identification
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 03:38 pm:

Part Number 5008-B is identified in the Ford Parts list as a Vibrator and Lower Bridge Assembly. Part Number 5008 is the Vibrator alone.

There does not appear to be a separate Part Number for the 1913 Kingston Coil Lower Bridge Assembly. This piece was originally made from brass and allowed the 5008 Vibrator to be replaced as a separate item.

Perhaps with a proper Part Number, I could find a couple of these brass units.

Coil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 03:57 pm:

James are you looking for that lower brass bridge? I have one I believe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 04:45 pm:

Yes, just the brass part. R. V. Anderson had all the other parts and this part. He repaired this coil so it looks and works like new. He has all the parts available except the brass Bridge Assembly. He is short on those items. He also has those small short screws for the vibrator. I just got R.V.s 2008 catalog today and he said he has more available. That reminded me that I might try here for the part. The part is identical in size to the newer part, it just don't look the same.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 05:06 pm:

Send me your address off line and I'll send it to you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 07:46 pm:

James
I have a large coffee can full of those separate vibrator feet for the vibrator blade. Your welcome to as many as you like. Give me a call.
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 10:34 pm:

Ron, I contacted you first, almost a year ago. Perhaps you didn't understand what I was asking about, because I had four coils that needed them and didn't know what they looked like, so I could be more specific.

R. V. Anderson had that set and another set with a complete coil. Now I know what I need anyway. I'll call you tomorrow, not too early.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 07:32 pm:

Jim
Sorry about the false start first time around.
Anyway, a picture is worth a thousand words.
I knew that coffee can would come in handy some day.
I got out the Ford drawings today. The vibrator mounting foot is factory part number T-6770, the "Grub (current adjustment) Screw" is factory number T-6782 and the blade mounting screw is factory number is T-6785. I don't know the factory number for the assembly of these three parts.
This part changed through the years (See Vintage Ford Volume 34 Issue 6 page 34 Photo 16 & 17 for details) it was used from early 1913 (William's design coil)to when it was discontinued in the mid 1920's when the integral stamped foot and vibrator spring appeared, but these numbers will give you a place to start. You will need to get the factory prints and Record of Changes to understand what is exactly correct for 1913.
Today I dug out several of the early point vibrator mounting feet and will give to Ed Henline at Chickasha for you.
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Saturday, March 01, 2008 - 08:13 am:

Thanks Ron! That coil was a Williams, not a Kingston and was made just before the company became K-W, if I recall your article on the Model T Coil Evolution correctly. That article shows that vibrator mounting piece in one photo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson on Saturday, March 01, 2008 - 10:41 pm:

James
I believe your 1913 coils shown are the first coils introduced to Ford by KW and used in the Model T in the first half on 1913. I have never seen an early Ford/KW coil like this with four screw top as opposed to six. Possibly Ford made this change? It is an interesting coil I have never seen.
Actually Kingston Company never became a part of KW (Kaple and Williams) Company. KW saved the bacon for the Model T by introducing the "Williams" designed coil in late 1912 with it's unique point design we still know and use today.
Kingston made the "Williams" coil for many years for the Model T after market.
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 01:33 pm:

Thanks Ron, I may get it straight yet.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration