Ok, what is the thoughts and thinking on stop leak in the radiator?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: Ok, what is the thoughts and thinking on stop leak in the radiator?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john curry on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 01:05 am:

we went driving today and the subject came up about the use of stop leak for leaks in the cooling system.
and heres a few shots of some of what we saw. john

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Elkins on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 07:12 am:

I won't use Stopleak unless I am planning on soon replacing a dying radiator. In a T it might be ok, I don't know and can't say, but it stops up heater cores or any other small hole (not just the holes that leak)

Love the pictures. Where is that?
Ray

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 08:38 am:

You've heard the old saying that there was not much on a Model T that you could not fix with baling wire? The reason most folks owned a Model T, back in its' heyday is because they could not afford anything else, so thus, were very economic when it came to working on and maintaining them.

I believe it was on this site, awhile back, that someone suggested the old remedy, used by original Model T'rs in the days, before "Stopleak", of cracking open and putting a raw egg into the hot radiator. I guess the thermo-siphonic agitation of the water broke up the egg, scrambled by the near boiling water, into small pieces which lodged in the hole causing the leak, but since an egg is organic, I would imagine that, over time, the rotten egg smell might become somewhat overpowering. Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Elkins on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 08:40 am:

Makes perfect sense Jim, even the smell part! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 08:41 am:

I find that stop leak is very efective for plugging up the radiator and filling the block up to head gasket level with crud. It is not a long term fix for anything. If you have a leak, fix the leak. Stop leak will only prolong your agony and cause overheating.

The last two T's I bought had radiators packed full of stop leak. It didn't stop the leaks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Elkins on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 10:29 am:

That's some nasty crap to clean out, ain't it Royce? Kinda like Fix-a-Flat in a tubeless tire, except that crap will ruin a wheel in no time! I'm with that stuff like I am with "Great Stuff" expanding foam...keep it FAR away from my cars!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph Wayne Rudzik on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 10:38 am:

Jim,
I would think the egg would be cooked and there would be no smell. The water starts to expand at about 170 degrees F. I understand and an egg will cook in water that hot.
Also, I had a radiator that was patched with concrete in the lower right corner and Dad told me pepper and oatmeal would work in a pinch.

Joe R.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Elkins on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 11:01 am:

According to Clymer, the oatmeal trick is one from the period. A cooked egg will still stink though

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harvey Decker on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 11:01 am:

Kentucky Ray
Were you considering making room on the grill today, for that Racoon? If so let me know ??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 11:03 am:

There must have been a whole box of oatmeal and a pound of pepper in my '13 when I bought it from Paul Sorrell. It would leak water out as almost quick as you could pour it in the filler neck.

13ts

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Elkins on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 11:30 am:

Harvey, I only tried that stuff once and I'll have to say I didn't care for it. In fact, I'm not much on any "wild" meat. Just don't care for the taste of deer, squirrel (tree rats), or anything else I gotta go shoot at. Wild turkeys everywhere, but I don't like them either. I'm a beef, pork, and chicken eater! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Elkins on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 11:32 am:

Nice car Royce. I'm sure you've probably posted beforeand I just missed it, but you got a shot of the whole deal?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 11:46 am:

The whole deal - it gets driven year round if the temperature is above 50.

13 l

engine

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Elkins on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 12:20 pm:

Very nice, Royce. I have seen it, now I remember it posted before. Really like the fact it's left alone and not restored. Be a shame to lose that character.

Speaking of driving in temps over 50, it's supposed to get well over that tomorrow. Haven't started the TT in over a month, but I think the old fella is gonna get some excercise tomorrow.
Thanks for posting it Royce. Nice to see it again!
Ray

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 01:17 pm:

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and let you all know just how redneck I am. After trying several off the shelf radiator stop leak products with no luck, I once put two boxes of black pepper in the radiator of a '79 F-100 and it never leaked again in the several years I owned it afterward, nor did it overheat. I couldn't afford to even have the radiator repaired at the time, much less, replaced.

After a bad experience with a thick consistancy "Bars Leaks" product in my modern truck (Had to have radiator rodded), I swore I would never use anything else again except the powdered type (Which may be black pepper for all I know). So after several tries of the powdered stop leak stuff in my honeycomb TT radiator, I finally went with the aluminum "Bars Leaks" and so far, have no more leaks. It is very similar to "Alumaseal."

If money was no object, I'd just write Brass Works a nice fat check and forget about the leak problems. But I ain't got $800+ to spend on a radiator if I ain't got to. The stop leak is holding for now. It's not overheating. And until it leaks or overheats, I'll leave it alone.

Hal

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Elkins on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 01:29 pm:

I gotta say Hal, if it ain't broke don't fix it! If it ain't leaking, and it ain't overheating, then drive it like you stole it! Since you and I share similar condition (working) trucks, like you I'm not going to put $800 in a radiator either until it's an absolute last resort. Mine has a couple places that stay damp-looking, but I don't miss any water. So as far as I'm concerned, it ain't broke! Even when the day comes it's pouring, I'll snag one of those cheapos I've seen on Ebay. A new radiator would stick out like a sore thumb! Rather have a damp spot or two than an unrestored truck with a shiny new radiator out front.

However fellers, I don't "tour" in mine and I don't think Hal does either. If it goes when I'm driving it, I'll limp it home and worry about it then. It ain't gonna leave me stranded 200 miles from home since it don't get over 10 (that is over a thirty minute drive).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 01:42 pm:

John,

If you really want to try a "cures-all in a can", I would suggest GM's Cooling System Supplement pellets, which are ground ginger (root). Any Cadillac dealership will sell them because they were designed to assure seal in the wet-liner Cadillac V-8s (4.1, 4.5, & 4.9 liter).

Obviously, they won't seal monster leaks. But I'll bet they won't clog your radiator either since they were designed to be used in production cars for the life of the car.

A mechanic friend of mine failed to use them after changing the water pump on one of his customer's cars. The engine began to leak coolant into the oil and he had to replace the engine. Who knows whether or not it would have leaked had he used them - sure leaked without them!

Any AC/Delco parts house should have them also (like O' Reilly's).

Seth

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Lawthers on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 08:54 pm:

I have used Alumaseal in british cars in the past with good results. Also used it in a 67 Cad and it worked out well.
Now my 26 Touring with a three row round tube radiator, just started developing a weep at the right bottom corner. I know I probably should consider getting another radiator, but like Ray, my car would look a little odd with a new radiator on it.
I may go ahead and try some Alumaseal, but my concern would be plugging up the whole system with it.
Maybe I would be better off just topping the radiator off every so often and live with the weeping.
Does anyone know for sure if pepper works without plugging things up?
Tom L
26 Touring

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 10:28 pm:

IMHO, it ya' hafta' use some "miracal in a can" for a very minor leak, Alumaseal is the only way to go. The reason that I feel that it might be acceptable is that some anti-freeze used to contain a very fine metallic compound that I think might be similar to Alumaseal. I think the anti-freeze might have been Prestone, and I think they quit putting the stuff in their anti-freeze, but I'm not sure.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration