Fuel line with 360o bend in it. What does this mean?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: Fuel line with 360o bend in it. What does this mean?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By 67sunroof on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 09:59 pm:

Can anyone tell me why a Model T fuel line would have a circular 360 degree bend in it?
Can this possibly be original?
Is this some sort of vapor lock prevention measure? If so, does it actually work or is it another old-wives' tale?
The car is a '25 coupe with an oval tank under the passenger's seat.
Any help much appreciated!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Elkins on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 10:04 pm:

Not vapor lock prevention...any metal tube bent into a coil will absorb vibration and resist cracking. Ever noticed brake lines coming from the master cylinder? They are coiled to prevent stress failure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 10:17 pm:

Ah ha!
So that's it.
I guess I should put it back the way it came off, huh?
Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Elkins on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 10:32 pm:

Mine is like that too. I won't say it is original, because the only factory photo I can find at the moment is in the service manual shows what appears to be a fairly straight run toward the frame rail.

The reason the lines are coiled from later car's master cylinders is because they are suspended for a distance and vibration will wreck the lines at the fittings if the coils aren't incorporated to absorb the vibrations. metal tube with flared or double-flared fittings will usually fail first at the flare since that is where the most flexing occurs. On the T with the packing connection, there is less concern about stress cracking since the packing acts as a cushion, something the flared fittings lack. There is no part of the line that is "held fast", so it wwould be less likely to crack on the T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 10:54 pm:

Ray, I believe some Model T's do in fact have a place where the gas line is "held fast". My '19 Touring has a gas line clamp from the frame between the tank and the carburetor. I do not know what years it was used for specifically but some catalogs list it as
part # T-2916. :-).....Michael Pawelek

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Elkins on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 11:37 pm:

Thanks Mike...good point. Actually I think my TT also has a bracket and clamp somewhere under there. There really should be a clamp somewhere to prevent rubbing a hole in the line. I was mainly referring to the nut area though at the settlement bowl not being a held fast connection like a flared fitting would be. The lines aren't as apt to stress cracking at a clamp where the line isn't altered as they would where they are flared or severely worn from moving in packing material, but then again we are talking about 80+ year-old tubing so no potential problem area should be overlooked.:-)
Thanks again!
Ray

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration