Drivers window in, regulator in place!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: Drivers window in, regulator in place!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Jeandrevin on Saturday, March 01, 2008 - 08:39 pm:

Well, I finely got my glass cut. Here is a pic of the way I had to do it with my replacement window regulator.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Elkins on Saturday, March 01, 2008 - 09:23 pm:

Looks like you're gonna be on the road by warm weather Tim!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Jeandrevin on Saturday, March 01, 2008 - 09:39 pm:

Get that speedster done ray, we can meet in the middle! lol

How's it coming along buddy? Did you start on the wood yet?

Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Elkins on Saturday, March 01, 2008 - 10:06 pm:

Little bit on the wood yesterday. All I'm going to do until I set the frame on the rack to level it and start putting the wood together on the frame. I did get part of the bead rolling done around the cowl today, but didn't get finished before my dad got here. We grilled some burgers and pork chops, so the day was pretty much over as far as T'n. Not getting done as fast as you are!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 07:54 am:

Tim,

Great progress and many of us adapt other year parts for use on our cars. I really like your web site –http://timsmodelt.bravehost.com/Latestupdate.html and I would encourage you to post that address when you share updates. There are always new folks checking out the forum or doing a search later on, and if that link is there they can easily find your site. First it will be an encouragement, hey it can be done – look at what Tim did – I should be able to do something also. Second, your site will be a big help for ideas on how it can be done. If you have time, while you still remember it (you would be amazed at how fast we forget things when we say we will write it down when we get around to it) would you please add a few notes on what you had to modify to get the regulators to fit and work properly?

From your picture it appears you have the 1923 – early 1925 wood framed doors rather than the later doors with a metal frame. Did you have to add some spacers, drill new holes, add new brackets/metal etc. and if so – any details on how you determined where etc. Also the window regulator you used – do you know what type of body it came out of? I check the Service Bulletins and they show it and several others, but they don’t say what was commonly used on which bodies. (For example in the 1928-31 Model A world – the rear quarter window regulator for the Slant Windshield Fordor sedan (also 1932 Fordor) is the same part/works great for the roll down rear coupe window modification. Just knowing that helps folks know which window regulator to look for).

Again great job and thanks for sharing the encouraging progress.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap Tucker 1915 Model T Ford touring cut off and made into a pickup truck and 1907 Model S Runabout. Sumter SC.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Jeandrevin on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 10:31 am:

Thanks Hap,
I will add some details as to how I adapted them. I do not know what body style the ones I am using for the doors came out of.

For the rear, I will be using the surpentine style, which still is not the type my car had in it, but I have been told some 23-25 Tudors DID use the surpentine style. And yes, my car is the late 23 to early 25 wooden door frame.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Sims on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 11:57 am:

Body parts list for March 1927 list the serpentine risers as 23 to 27 four door with wood doors. The oval 3 gear style is listed as The same but with steel doors This is book T10

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Scherzer on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 09:12 pm:

Tim I think your style of window gear box opener is worth looking into compared to the pot metal boxes that I have tried to reproduce in brass. These boxes still need the gears to be fitted inside for them to work. Yours looks like it has a simpler set of gears used and the rest appears to be of steel metal construction. I would like to see more of the box shape although I have no time at present to start another T project but I do have a straight gear cutting mill along with most of the standard involute gear cutters.

I just finished these gear boxes for a customer but the machining required is just too involved to make reproducing them practical, at least for me.(original on the right top) So maybe yours needs to be looked into or maybe there's a good available replacement from another make or model of car and just requires making an adapter plate to make them work. Bob

window gearbox

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Jeandrevin on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 09:35 pm:

Bob,
Your repros look great, but that seems to be the problem. The labor involved in production makes them just too expensive for the average guy to afford in a restoration. I have a total of $40 bucks in all 4 of my window regulators. I am sure yours are far more than $40 bucks each!

Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Scherzer on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 10:24 pm:

Again I have to agree the average T guy won't pay for this type of reproduction work but guys with orphan cars don't seem to have the problem and which has caused me to not attempt some of these short run T projects anymore. I understand the needs in these restorations are different and the reason T's have such a good following with guys wanting an affordable antique car given the number of still available parts.

I'm not much over the $40 cost to produce the gear box but you still need the gears. I won't try to make anymore in the future especially knowing you could find four for $40 and just had to adapt them it fit. Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Jeandrevin on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 12:38 am:

Bob,
I didn't mean that to discurage you from making them, and if you aren't much over $40 bucks, you are being very resonable. There are those that would definetely pay that to be correct too. Just not all of us. It is good you use your tallent to make them available. You have a gift!

Tim

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration