Rear axle Questions

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: Rear axle Questions
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 07:44 pm:

1 ] How tight do i tighten the springs chacles nuts ?
2 ]do i wait till the engine is in before tightening the nuts on the radius rods up front by the U joint as for it to center itself ?
Thank You ....Larry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 08:03 pm:

Larry, Spring shackles should be tight ,but not enough to bind movement on the spring. once you get them tight,back off to the nearest cotter pin hole. I'm not sure whether your second question applies to the front or rear radius rods? The rear ones should have been set when the rear end was rebuilt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By larry on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 09:16 pm:

Jack -yes it is the read radius rods
When i put the diferential on the car i see that is not centere to the rear of pan about1/4 more to one side
I then loosened the nuts and i can move it to the sides ,.I guess i did not line up at start .
I just left them go where they wanted with the tube bolted up
She is loose no bind
Is there prosidure to line them up?
Thank you Larry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 09:33 pm:

Yes,if you have a service manual,it explains it quite well. Much to much detail for me to try and post here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David_Cockey on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 09:36 pm:

The front of the rear radius rods connect to the driveshaft tube, not the engine pan. The driveshaft and tube should be perpendicular to the axle shafts and tube. If it's not binding and/or accelerated wear will occur.

What's not centered - the universal joint and ball to the pan? If so try loosening the u-bolts which hold the rear spring to the frame. DO NOT try to spring the axle shaft tube to one side by adjusting the radius rods.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration