HELP!!! frame holes off, don't know why

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: HELP!!! frame holes off, don't know why
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Hudson on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 08:25 pm:

I started to put together my 19 T today, and have found that none of the holes line up. The body brackets are off by almost two inches, and the firewall brackets do n ot line up. It has a wooden firewall. I have John Regans frame dimension drawing, but was hoping you guys could tell me how far from the front craoss member the brackets are supposed to go? also, how the brackets are oriented. Seems l;ike a stupid question, but I am at a loss

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenny Edmondson on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 08:47 pm:

Do you have the firewall brackets on the front side of the firewall and turned the correct direction? It's got to be something simple your over looking.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Hudson on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 09:15 pm:

Well, I Did some serious looking, and found something a little interesting. The right hand side of the frame has the four rivet brake quadrant, and is drilled for the early style running board brackets. the left hand side of the frame is only drilled for the later style running board brackets, and has a serial number C655XXX, indicating a Canadian 1925 frame. it looks as if someone has replaced the left frame rail on my frame. Kinda neat. But now the dilemma. The firewall brackets. How are they oriented, and how far back on the frame are they? I have no other Ts with which to look, and I got this as a pile of parts. Its ready to go together, but I keep running into snags like this. Anyone have any pictures of wooden firewall brackets on the frame? Or the proper mounting hole location?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 09:33 pm:

1917 to 1925 would have the bolt holes in the same place. Are you mounting the brackets on the engine side, (that is where they go)? If you lay the bracket on its side, the back that mounts to the fire wall has more of a kick in for the wood firewall. The ones for the metal firewall almost go straight up and down with very little kick in. I will take a photo of a wood firewall bracket next to one for the metal firewall when I get home tonight from work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 10:07 pm:

Robert,

Take a look at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/26547.html?1175373132#POST52371 it may help you some with this one. Phil Mino did a great job of showing where the bolt holes etc. on the frame and the difference between the early frame and later frame dash mounting area. Others also chimed in with additional details. Also note there are different brackets for the wood or metal firewalls

Did it fit well before you took it apart or are you building it up from different parts? If it fit great before then you just need to figure out how it goes back together. If it is be assembled from different parts (i.e. frame, brackets, firewall were never originally together and you know they fit/looked ok on the car) then you will need to make sure you have the proper frame (or you may have to drill new holes in the frame), proper firewall brackets for the type of fire wall you will be using. A 1919 would have originally come with a wood firewall. But the low cowl metal firewall was sold as a replacement for the wood firewall and it can be used but you need spacers and/or the metal firewall brackets. Good luck.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap Tucker, 1915 Model T Ford touring cut off and made into a pickup truck and 1907 Model S Runabout. Sumter SC

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 10:47 pm:

Do these pics of my '19 speedster (left hand drive) help any?

Right side bracket:

Right side bracket where it attaches to frame:

Left frame rail:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 11:18 pm:

From the front of the frame to the first hole is approx 25 3/4-7/8. The supports in the photo are for the drivers side.
MarkG

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration