Headliner/Top Help

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: Headliner/Top Help
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Perigo on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 09:19 pm:

I know this was recently covered, and I did find some of the earlier posts. But, I need some clarification. My top was basically a covered piece of interior cardboard sandwiched between the top wood and the body framing. I plan to replace the top, so that is not a problem.

I just don't think the wood framing is on correctly. Based on what I have read here, the side panels go up the framing face and attach on the lip (with the bows removed). The face of my framing protrubes out beyond the metal framing. Teh upholstery panels would have to bend inward to go over the face of the framing to the lip.

I sure hope this makes sense; I can take more pictures.

What do you think?

frame1
frame2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Perigo on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 09:21 pm:

Forgot to mention...this is a 1927 Tudor....:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Sims on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 09:35 pm:

It looks like the top rails are homemade and do not appear to be correct.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Jeandrevin on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 09:39 pm:

Mike,
Your top rails should be flush to the inside of the top of the sides. Then there should be a rabbit around the perimeter that the top can be stapled to. It will be next to impossible to finish your interior the way they are. You will need to trip that back and the rabbit it with a router.

Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Jeandrevin on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 09:40 pm:

It should finish off like this:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Jeandrevin on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 09:44 pm:

oops...like this:

The cording is in the rabbit area over the staples.

Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 09:52 pm:

Mike the top rails are very visable in my 25 tudor. You're welcome to come look at it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Perigo on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 10:29 pm:

Thanks a lot everybody!! You have confirmed what I already thought was the problem. Thank God..I have a router and know how to use it!!! This Tudor may become a depot hack after all:-)

Jack...never though about your Tudor...I'll come up and take a look!

Thanks Again!!!
Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 11:11 pm:

Bring your camera ,a note pad and tape measure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Perigo on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 11:15 pm:

And a Butterscotch pie!!!:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 11:17 pm:

Count me in!!!!!!!!

Sounds like a great dessert for that red boudin entree I just had. Yum!, right Jack?

Seth :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 11:43 pm:

Boudin,If properly spiced,very good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 11:50 pm:

It was "Momma slappin good" - far better than that "legal" white stuff. Cholesterol Candy

Mudbug head fat comes in a close second and mudbugs are here and plentiful - prices are a coming down.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Harrison on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 03:48 pm:

Seems to me that the descriptions are not really correct. Or I don't understand what people wrote. On my 27 Coupe, the wood sticks out beyond the side. In Mike's picture I would say that the top bows need work, because it should be flat across the bottom (inside or ceiling) and should have a gentle bow on the top. The ceiling must be installed first, with cloth from the tube edging tacked to the wood, with the extra cloth covering the curved wood around the edges, you might need some glue on the cloth around the wood edge to make it look best, then the panels go on to hide the end of the ceiling cloth. Mine is a coupe with a mostly steel body, so it may not be the same. My main concern is it sounded like people were telling Mike to cut off the rounded portion of the wood that sticks out from the side of the top edge. Interior finish 27 coupe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Harrison on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 03:52 pm:

Here is another picture of the original condition of the headliner.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Stanzione on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 04:10 pm:

Mike,

I am re upholtering a 26 Tudor as we speak. The wood configuration I see in yours is exactly like mine. I have my top off right now so this is easy for me. Also a friend just installed new top wood on a Fordor that is done the same way

The upholstery I got had a piece of piping trim that stapled to the top of the ledge created by that exposed wood. Sewn to that piping is a headliner tab about 3 inches wide that runs the entire length of the piping. After you staple in the piping this tab will lay over the contour of the rounded peice of wood and finish off under the panels below. This is exactly the way the original came off my car.

I would not think about taking off the wood with a router. If you plan to replace your top it is much easier to have it off to install the headliner as well.

PM me if I can help any further

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Perigo on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 06:15 pm:

Thanks, Tom....I see what you mean about the piping. I am going to remove the top because it is an ugly tan color that is very dirty. Right now...I have the epizootic :-( I'll get in contact later in the week!!!

Thanks,
Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 07:58 pm:

Just don't be sneezing on my buterscotch pie!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Stanzione on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 10:46 pm:

Mike,

I installed my headliner today as I indicated above and it looks great. Was very easy to install, probably the easiest part of the job so far.

Let me know if I can help

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Halpin on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 11:49 pm:

I'm beginning to think that there as many "correct" ways to put a top and headliner on a 27 Tudor as there are cars.
[IMG]http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q32/olfart100/ModelTTop015.jpg[/IMG]
This is a Mac's wood kit and the side wood looks just like the wood in the original pictures.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration