I need bearings...

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: I need bearings...
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Bunner on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 10:14 am:

Hello. I was putting the rear differential back together this weekend and found out that two out of 4 of my rear axle bearings have babbit material stuck between the crevices in the bearings. Does anyone know where I can get two original rear axle bearings and 1 drive shaft bearing?

There was a gentlemen from New York area , that owned a salvage yard that had lots of bearings in a wooden box that was at Hershey this year. I got his business card but I have lost it... :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 12:01 pm:

If the bearings are otherwise good, just scrape out the babbit. Depending on how much babbit you're talking about, I'm not even sure it's a problem. Really good Hyatt bearings are not that easy to find.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tyrone thomas on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 12:12 pm:

I agree with Jerry. Those bearing are tough and loose. Plus the fact the babbit is realitivly soft material.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Bunner on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 01:45 pm:

I've been picking at it... but it's tough to come out of the crevices... I'll try some more. But, I absolutely need a new drive shaft bearing. It is gone. So, any help there, much appreciated! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 01:49 pm:

For the drive shaft pinion bearing there is a nifty kit available from http://www.funprojects.com

I am real fussy when it comes to reproduction parts. Having seen how nice this kit works I am convinced that it will be an improvement even over new original parts. Check it out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 09:31 am:

Michael:

"New" axel roller bearings measured .500" diameter

Pinion roller bearing measured .562"

Bearings with less than .005 wear should be acceptable for use.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 01:47 pm:

Its been my experience that if you replace the outer bearing sleeves with the expensive ones, a roller bearing without wear won't fit. I have a bunch of good bearings that measure .497" uniformly. They wont fit in the outer holes with the new sleeves installed. The ones I used measured .493-4". Just did it last week on an early RE but I have had the same problem with others. That's why I look for good used sleeves.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Bunner on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 03:11 pm:

I think Dave Huson is looking for a good drive shaft bearing for me. I took the advice of Jerry and Tyrone and picked them out last night. I also soaked them in gas, which removed most of the junk, believe it or not... They measure .4975 and I put new sleeves in from Lang's. They fit perfectly. Hopefully, Dave can find me a good drive shaft bearing. Mine is completely worn and the sleeve it rode on was completely destroyed; probably due to the spider coming loose and lots of slop in the rear.

Also, I did something new with the rear axle bearing seals "neoprene style." I took the metal washer off of them and glued the seals on the inside of the collar, so that they didn't interfere with the new sleeves. It seems to have worked GREAT!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration