TT Closed Cab - Door Handle?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: TT Closed Cab - Door Handle?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 07:47 pm:

Any one have a close-up picture of the TT-CC door handle? (Outside) Were there variations of the mounting plates? The ones I have are 1.300" OC and the floating door mounting plate has the screw holes 1.423" OC. Wut up wit dat?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By steamboat on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 04:22 pm:

for a picture of the door handles try this:

http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/4040

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 09:56 pm:

Thanks, but that's not a picture. I have door handles. I'd like to see the mounting plate. I'm trying to figure out if these are repops that don't fit or from another car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Phil Mino on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 11:29 pm:

These are still on three TT closed cab doors. All appear to be the same. Is this what you are looking for?

door1

door2

door3

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 01:05 am:

Thanks Phil, that will work. I'll have to duplicate the shape for the handles I have. I received an email that helped a lot and apparently, the handles I have are for a Center Door.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Scherzer on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 07:09 pm:

The 22 coupe and center door handles on the outside have the same basic shape as the TT's closed cab handles but that were the similarity ends. Coupe and center dr. handles were cast in aluminum and polished and the TT handles were cast in zinc or pot metal. Since pot metal won't hold a polish they were painted black. The car's escutcheon plate was also cast in aluminum so to keep from galling with the handle they had a brass bushing cast in the plate.

TT truck handle

TT truck handle

The TT plate which is stamped steel has a 1/2"ID hole and the car's is 9/16 plus the screw hole spacing is different so they couldn't be interchanged.

TT truck handle

Back when I was reproducing both these handles I made up a universal door handle pattern which allowed me to machine to fit either type vehicle. The car's steel shank is longer then the TT and the car's shoulder is a larger diameter. So they were cast with a larger shoulder and a longer shaft and were machined later to whatever the order called for. If the owner wanted the TT handles painted black rather then in polished aluminum I would just bead blasted and painted them black but I sold more polished even though they should have been black. The plates of course had be cast as separate items as needed. Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 10:47 pm:

Thanks again for your help Bob.
LOL... Bad day for me. I made two plates like on the left in the photo above. I used steel so I was going to plate them in nickle. I made them thick enough to use the door handles I had using the same retainer clip. All went well until I drilled the center hole. Danged if I didn't over-size it. I was looking at the assembled sample and thinking the plate had to go over the retaining clip. Measured it twice too. To make things worse, I drilled both plates the same way.

Looks like it may be bushing time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Scherzer on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 11:15 pm:

Ken the TT handles don't use a retaining clip, just the cars, since the inside door handle holds the assemble in place, if I'm understanding what you are saying. Offer stills out there if you want me to send you two polished aluminum plates . Bob

TT truck handle

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By johnd on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 11:33 pm:

Bob is anyone making the closed cab TT handles now, outside and inside, I 've finally run out of originals, and get lots of calls for them. danuser88@socket.net

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Scherzer on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 12:02 am:

Yes, John someone is making them but they are casting the whole handle in aluminum and not using a steel shaft which if steel isn't used on a TT handle it will quickly get twisted off plus they are not machined and need to be polished. That's how I came to dig out my old patterns to make up a set for a friend wanting some for his truck with steel shafts cast in the handle. But then again maybe someone is making ones with steel shafts but the one I saw was from a major T vendor that had sold these all aluminum handles. Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Billy McGuire on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 12:27 am:

When Bob says "they are not machined and need to be polished," that is being very generous. I ordered one or two a few years back and they are rough, but better than the bungee cord that was serving the purpose.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration