Shall I drive the T today?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: Shall I drive the T today?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 02:16 pm:

Sunday, it was 76 degrees and sunny in the St. Louis area. Managed to get in an hour or so driving around in the T in shirtsleeves.

Will I do that today? Naahh... don't think so. :-)

Snow

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince M on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 05:41 pm:

Dick,

I am told about 30 minutes west of St. Charles there is no snow at all today.

I had the T out saturday and sunday. It was a great break from this real winter we have been having this year.

Vince

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 06:24 pm:

Vince, when I walked down this same driveway to get the paper at about 7:00 this morning, the driveway and street were clear and dry. The picture was taken about 12:15. It's now 4:25 and it's still coming down, although it seems to be tapering off.

I keep seeing people shoveling snow. Don't they know that it goes away by itself if you give it enough time? :-)

Dick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 10:53 pm:

... but where does all the white go when snow melts??

Garnet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Jeandrevin on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 07:54 am:

Garnet,
It comes to Ohio! :-(
Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tyrone thomas on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 10:50 am:

Eventhough I'm sick of winter, that looks beautful. Thanks for the photo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Cullen on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 11:38 am:

Get right out there and drive that T! (wear your snowmobile suit) Not much traffic and Ts aren't too bad in the snow. That's how memories are made.

I had to drive about 25 miles in a wet slushy New England snowstorm about 25 years ago, on a hand-shift, foot-clutch Harley. I don't know how I ever recovered from that much adreneline pumping at once.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George House on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 11:53 am:

I drove mine yesterday to go vote for Mike Huckabee! About halfway to the poll, no amount of carburetor adjusting could get it to run smooth. Plan B: get out the screwdriver and identify the offending sparkplug(s). Replaced two F-11s and it never ran better! Will drive it today for a 1 pm appointment to help a friend's friend get his '24 touring running after a 15 year slumber. But it'll be 82 degrees AGAIN here in Texas - sure wish I had an air conditioner (in the 'T')

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 12:41 pm:

Mike, I agree, but I did that in January of 1999. I drove around for almost an hour, seeking out unplowed streets. It did fine, but they salt the roads so heavily here I don't want to make a practice of it. :-)

Snow

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Cullen on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 12:53 pm:

That's more like it! Once the plows and salt trucks have been out winter driving is crummy. I always liked about 20 degrees or so, fresh 6-8" on top of hardpack, everything is so soft and quiet and the solid base gives you decent traction. (back when they spread coal cinders and sand) Once they started using salt, and try to keep everything plowed to bare pavement, the winter driving got appreciably worse, and cars rotted away quicker. I remember when in upstate NY hardpack was the norm on the streets, you may not see pavement for weeks at a time, but sanded hardpack actually leveled the roads pretty well, and as long as you didn't drive like an idiot, you could get around just fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Harper on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 01:57 pm:

Here is a picture of my 1924 Coupe on the way to work in January of 2006. It is 24 miles one way.
Bill
ICE FALLS

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denny on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 06:49 pm:

Bill,
Where does your coupe work and what time does it come home?

Denny

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR. on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 07:27 pm:

And how many miles is it the other way? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael D. Peteson on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 09:12 pm:

And, is it uphill in both directions?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 09:24 pm:

If you're driving a coupe to work, then you must be a doctor????

For real controversy, see my top saddle posts on the other website.

Erik Johnson
Doctorate in Mechanical Engineering, A.C. Gilbert University, New Haven, CT
Minneapolis, MN

P.S. my dad bought a Jensen 35 toy steam engine for me at an estate sale last Friday. I'm considering changing hobbies.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 10:50 pm:

Mike,not many folkes know that Harley even made a hand shift motorcycle.My dads 58 is handshift.He says he cant ride a Indian motorcycle.The gear shift is on the other side of the tank and very confuseing to him.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Cullen on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 10:13 am:

Hand shift was still available on a Harley until the Shovelheads came along in 66, maybe even later. My 58 and 61 Pans were hand shift, my 64 that I rode until last year was a a foot shift. (went ahead and bought a Road King, retired Police bike, wifey dear likes the air ride better than the pogo stick) I'm pretty fond of the electric leg too. I hope I'm better able to massage a T into an easy start than that last Pan, it was miserable to start hot. (although with the moving breaker, I did get a "free start" once with it)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bigdave on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 11:29 am:

Winter T

I say drive em' Summer or Winter!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Jeandrevin on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 02:32 pm:

Yeasterday, the grass here in Ohio was showing. This is what we woke up to this morning.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Halpin on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 09:36 am:

Eat your heart out northerners, it's just another winter day here in Florida.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration