Howdy!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: Howdy!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod Letcher on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 10:57 am:

Hi guys & gals,
Iíve been a forum member for a short time and mostly just a lurker. Iím fairly new to the ďTĒ hobby (got my 1st one, a 21 runabout, in November). In January I found a 21 Speedster and have now started redoing it (restoration might be a bit too strong a term).
Anyway Iím documenting the re-do here if anyone is interested:
http://www.customfurniture.net/speedster/

BTW; Iíve read in some of the forum posts about finding TDC on #1 piston by using the crankshaft pulley pin. Iíve documented the accuracy of those posts with pictures on the above site.

Rod

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Elkins on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 11:16 am:

Welcome! Nice-looking cars and progress site. Do you know who made your body? If you don't mind, before you cover it all up with paint and re-assemble it, would you email me some pictures of the metalwork, joints, etc.? I'm presently copying a speedster body that was found here in Ky, but would like to get hold of any and all pictures I can get of various manufacturers' products. Not attempting to hijack your post, just showing what I'm working on. This is only the cowl section (always tackle the hardest part first!). Copying the original line for line, even though I don't care for the inward curve at the top of the firewall area. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Bunner on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 11:34 am:

Looks great Rod! Wish my motor were as good... it's on it's last lung and coughing metal. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it won't need a new crank.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Cullen on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 11:54 am:

Good looking speedster! Talk about fast progress! You working on it full time?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod Letcher on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 02:47 pm:

Ray,
Below are a couple of photos (top and bottom of the same rear panel). Apparently a steel frame skeleton was used and the body panels screwed over it. I have no idea who the mfg was but the previous owner said that he thought there were 25 of them made and all in Salem Oregon. When I get some more photos I'll post them on the website and you can copy from there. That cowl section you are working on, is very similar in shape, less all the seams on mine.

Michael,
Good luck with your engine. I just got lucky and the speedster came with a rebuilt spare.

Mike,
Not exactly full time, but real close ;). I retired two years ago, and these cars are what keep me from going completely off into netherland.

Rodbottomtop

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 03:57 pm:

Nothing wrong with the blue!:>)
Hehe,but I am curious about the A exhuast manifold and intake.Didnt know they would fit a T.
Also wouldnt mind seeing a better view of the rear of the chassis.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Elkins on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 04:59 pm:

Thanks Rod, unique way of fastening panels. I've not seen one done that way. Look forward to seeing more of your car!
thanks again

Ray

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod Letcher on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 08:09 pm:

Mack,
The Model A exhaust/intake manifold is installed via a simple adapter plate (see below). It is about a 3/8" plate drilled for Model A ports and installed between the Model A manifold and the "T" block. I'm using a set of T copper gaskets with builtin glands on the "T" side and a one piece Model "A" copper gasket on the manifold side. The "A" gasket should be here tomorrow.

Rod

PS
Some of the "T" vendors (Mac's etc) have the adapter, but it would be easy to fabricate.

plate

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 09:00 pm:

Rod,

Very nice work. The decked block looks great as do those engine colors.

Don't lurk. More pics please!

Seth

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Sizemore on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 10:41 pm:

With that adapter you can run this setup.

Ray, That body is looking good.

Rod, Love that speedster
JS

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend, Gresham, Orygun on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 12:16 am:

Hey Rod!
That's Tom's old blue armadillo!
Glad to see that someone is breathing life back into it. Where are you located?
-Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod Letcher on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 11:50 am:

Seth,
Yup, them be official "Go Ducks" colors. I live a short distnce from "Autzen" Stadium, it kind of makes the choice a natural.

Thanks, John.

Keith, I'm in Eugene. Armadillo? I/ve been trying to figure out what it was I've seen that this car reminds me of, that may be it? Kind of slow for a Speedster though ;).

Rod.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Elkins on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 07:40 pm:

Rod, I was told by a third party that is what that body is referred to...an armadillo. Keith verified that!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Elkins on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 07:41 pm:

Thanks John!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration