Anyone turn a hot air pipe into an air cleaner?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: Anyone turn a hot air pipe into an air cleaner?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George House on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 01:36 pm:

While researching hot air pipes using the Keyword Search option I persuaded myself to include this factory supplied component on all my T s. Perviously, in south Texas I didn't think it ever got cold enough to need one but, after changing from the cast iron intake to a cast aluminum intake, I started seeing ice accumulation on an otherwise warm day. About 3 months ago I bought a 3 1/2" X 5 1/2" 'brick' of air cleaner material from Lowe's for my deVilbiss air compressor for $6. The same OEM air cleaner material would've cost $22 over the Internet + about $6 for shipping. All our county roads are very dusty caliche material and I've been considering air cleaners from the T parts purveyors but they are so ugly and when one opens the hood on a tour and onlookers spy one of these possibly functional but grotesquely modern appearing components, all attention and comments seem to be riveted on it. So I was wondering if anyone has had success with stuffing or somehow affixing some of this green foam-like air cleaner product into their hot air pipe? Thanks in advance . .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas J. Miller "Tom" on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 01:47 pm:

I don't think you'll be able to do this. Air cleaners work without restriction because they have a large surface area with respect to the volume of air passing through them. Anything covering the cold air tube opening would have to be very thin or you will choke off the airflow to the carb.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 02:20 pm:

George;

For a while I used foam from a motorcycle or small engine filter, I don't remember which. I soldered in some 1/4 square mesh for support. I'm sure it didn't keep all of the small particles out but it definitely caught stuff. I removed the air pipe some years ago and with it the filter. It might not have been perfect but it definitely was better then nothing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A.Boer on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 04:10 pm:

Hi George: Last winter I rebuild mij engine because I used a lot of oil and bleu smoking.
When I bring mij engine to the shop for boring and lining , the man looked at the pistons and then looked to me and asked me: ARE YOU DRIVING WHITHOUT AN AIR CLEANER ??? and I see YES
SO, now Iam driving with an air cleaner.
But a combination hot air and cleaner would be fine
Greetings from Holland.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Timothy D Eyssen on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 07:48 pm:

Sonny: I have used a cylindrical foam filter with a spring inside for support. Got 'um from a motorcycle shop. Regards, Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 08:21 pm:

You still need the warmed manifold air to keep the carb from icing, from the venturi effect, even on a warm day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By larry on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 09:09 pm:

Here is a pic of something i have seen on line...... Larry air cleaner

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff rey L. Vietzke on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 10:05 pm:

Hi George. I'm inclined to copy what Gary London did with his set-up. I think a small, NON COMPRESSED foam filter, oiled, inserted inside the air tube would be fine. Also, you could solder a fine bronze screen into the tube (like one from a cast-off automatic transmission filter) and oil it from time to time. Not a LOT of oil, just enough to let dirt cling to it. I'm with you: I don't want anybody to see it and therefore focus all their attention to it! I think I'll cobble up something in the next few weeks, now that I have my front engine mount greased and adjusted!
Jeff

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 08:49 pm:

A fine screen like that in the fuel sediment bowl would probably work. Or just a piece of regular window screen. Place it over the end of the carb and slip the hot air pipe over it to hold in place. The problem is there's not much surface area so it would have to be checked/cleaned often or the car would start running rich. The same problem would occur if you stuck filter material into the tube. At least the regular screen would keep large particles like rust chips and stones out of the engine.

The spring loaded filters work good but if you're concerned about factory rep inspections, carry a wrench and slip the air pipe back on for "show".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 09:38 am:

If you want an efficient (at cleaning the air), non-restrictive air filter for your T, just build a box that can be mounted under the floorboards. The intake will be a 1" or larger pipe that draws warm air off the exhaust pipe and directs it into the rear lower corner in the box - which contains about 1/2" of motor oil. The opposite corner (front upper) is the outlet that connects via a rubber hose to the carburetor.

There. An oil-bath air cleaner. Better than a screen in my opinion. Go play in the dust without sweating destroying your engine. An intake noise silencer also. Even warm air since some posters insist that it is a requirement. Cold air for those of us that really like to fill our cylinders on each and every intake stroke - all that's required is re-aiming the inlet pipe. :-)

Sethster

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George House on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 06:43 pm:

Thanks guys, . .My computer did it's quarterly gasping last Friday and, after 5 calls to Manila today (my ISP), finally came back to life. So, Jeffrey and I will copy what Gary did - although Gary ultimately undid it. Tim, my wife has some of those white cylindrical foam filter-looking gizmos in a drawer in the bathroom. Might try them in the hot air pipe. And I think Ken's comments concerning frequent checking as to the cleaning has merits too. Thanks alot !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 11:31 pm:

Hey George, did you get my email about the frame?

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration