Rare Master body on model T, anyone ever see one of these?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: Rare Master body on model T, anyone ever see one of these?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDaniel (Indiana Trucks) on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 09:36 pm:

This was posted on another site and I thought maybe someone here would know something about it. The body is by Master and it was built to be put on a model T frame. This is one nice looking car and I bet not many are left.

What would something like this be worth?

He has some paperwork on it that gives more info on the builder and paint color and everything looks like it was kept pretty much as built. I will try to post more info on it later if I can.

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ryan Michael on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 10:09 pm:

Here is what I found in a book titled
"The Model T Ford Owner" by Murray Fahnestock 1968.
The Master bodies are distinctively high grade custom body construction and are built by the same workman and the same materials as the bodies of some much higher priced cars. The bodies are upholstered in handsome woolens and include many refinements in comfort and luxury.
Both the four door sedan and the coupe have the same stout frame work construction properly glued and screwed at all joints with frames built of seasoned Maple. The panels are 20 gauge special auto body steel and the frames are paneled with metals above the line of the body as well as below, permitting no exposed woodwork on the outside of the body. The moldings are extruded aluminum, applied in the usual manner with concealed nails.
The roofs are of the bow and slat type, generally conceded to be approved practice. The lower half of the windshield is stationary, with the upper half ventilating, being controlled by quadrants with nickeled fittings. The door glasses are operated by window regulators of the latest type, and the interior hardware is nickel plated and of attractive design.
The durable Duco system of painting is(as featured on new Oakland cars) is used to give a celluloid surface to the car that practically eliminates the need for painting, as the finish is considered almost indestructible.
The hood is raised and a new design of radiator shell is supplied to fit the new low, streamline effect of the body. The body is longer and roomier, and the low lines are secured without sacrificing comfortable headroom, Seats are wider and lower and laid back at a comfortable angle. There is a dome light.
Other equipment includes sun visor, cowl ventilator,vacuum system in combination with gauge, and gasoline tank mounted at back of chassis, linoleum covered running boards, with body and hood painted Master blue.
For this who are loyal to Ford worth, yet have the desire to drive in "class",
modern coach builders offer plenty of aristocracy in the way of special bodies. And the best of it is that no matter how ornate the body, the reliable Ford is beneath it all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 10:10 pm:

All I can say is this.I LOVE that radiator shell.That is 1 nice car.
Needs side mount spares and a foot or so more body and frame lenght.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By scott rosenthal on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 11:18 pm:

Bob:
Beautiful sedan in very choice presumably original condition. I'm not qualified to appraise this or any other such rarity, but I'd have to assume this might fetch somewhere in the neihborhood of $30K at auction. Were this car perhaps one of less than 10 documented survivors, I would imagine that figure increasing well into the thirties, maybe higher. The fact that this gorgeous coach is well documented certainly bodes well for resale, however, it is a very specialized piece that would appeal to a certain strain of collector. Our Euro friends are bit more accustomed to specialized ford coaches, so I expect responses from these folks will likely be closer to real market value. A fabulous find, and I would love to own one like it. Only change I would make is to loose the white walls. Too fine an authentic piece to clutter-up with cheap window dressing, IMO.
Best Regards,
Scott

Best Regards

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 10:49 am:

Nice find. I like the disc wheels on it, although they remind me alot of the chevrolets of the era. I wonder how the T dealt with the weight difference between the ford sedan body and this fancier body.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1925-Ford-Model-T-Master-Sedan-Coupe-Body-Brochure_W0QQitemZ 7223097557QQcmdZViewItem

This is an old Ebay listing for the Logan Motor Company, offering the Master bodies on ford chassis. The upgrade was apparently only $93.55

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDaniel (Indiana Trucks) on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 10:56 pm:

The car was restored about 35 years ago I was told and while it is in very nice shape it does have a few places where the paint will need some work and the seats show a little wear but from the pictures I have seen, it is not that bad inside or out.

I am not a fan of the whitewalls myself but they don't hurt this one. I will try to post some pics of the inside if I can get them to load to my computer or get them from the seller.

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 12:45 pm:

Does anyone know if Master ever made an ambulance? I recently saw an early postcard that had two ambulances on the right side and they looked like Model T's except for the radiator that looked like the Master radiator.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Schild on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 01:07 pm:

Do you still have the postcard for the ambulance? I'd love to see another pic of one of these. Ours is the only one that we've been able to find. From the original brochures that I have from Master, They made the Sedan and a Three window coupe. They list nothing else.
Bob , Thanks again for your help in trying to get me more info. Any help that anyone can give would be greatly appreciated. I will post those interior pictures tonight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Schild on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 11:09 pm:

Let me know if you have any questions or would like more pic's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDaniel (Indiana Trucks) on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 11:54 pm:

Mike,

I am happy to see you found this thread and posted some more pictures. I bet someone on here will know more about these cars and you can answer questions a lot better than I ever could they might have.

That would still look real nice beside my 26 in the garage.

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 10:32 am:

Mike, here is the ambulance postcard photo. The one radiator is blocked by the sailor, but the other radiator kind of looks like a Masters style.

T

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike schild on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 01:23 pm:

Bob, I agree that it would look great next to your '26. I never got your offer.
We'll talk.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDaniel (Indiana Trucks) on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 08:43 pm:

Mike,

If I had more than lint in my pockets right now I would ask for your phone number and would have bought it before I ever posted it for others to see!

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Schild on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 08:28 pm:

Should I assume that nobody else has one or has seen one?
What should I do about the value with nothing to compare to.
Your opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 09:15 am:

Mike I would not assume you have the only one. A lot of folks don't have internet access . All you can do is believe no one has seen another one based on the responses here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willoughby on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 12:51 pm:

I also have a aftermarket body no one has heard of. I have a 1920 Autowa body touring, made Ottowa IL. It was said two hundred were made, I have only found one other in Michigan, Mine is in Florida. I have a book full of research and reprint sales adds from 1920 and 1921.
This body is longer than the standard touring body even different radiator and fenders. I have been told this body lowers the price over a stock body.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Schild on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 03:01 pm:

Do you have any pic's that you could share?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bas de voogd on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 03:59 pm:

Could this also be a Master bodied ambulance ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Schild on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 06:12 pm:

The grill and the wheels look like "Master". The angle of the cowl looks to be the same as the angle of the grill , which is unlike the Master. The Master that I have has the same shape as the original T but it's about three inches taller at the cowl and hood. Visor sure looks the same, headlights do not.
Not sure if it's a master or not, still a great pic.
Thanks for sharing.
Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willoughby on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 06:47 am:

Here is a pic of my Autowa body TPic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grady Puryear on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 10:15 am:

As a matter of curiosity, what purpose did the vacuum system serve ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Schild on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 11:10 am:

The vacuum system was for getting the fuel from the rear mounted tank to the motor with out a fuel pump. There is a vacuum tank under the hood that holds about a quart and the vacuum from the engine keeps it supplied with fuel.
Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grady Puryear on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 11:17 am:

Thanks, Mike, there seems to have been quite a bit of engineering and thought that went into these bodies. Now that I have seen pictures of one, I think that this is what I saw back when, I thought at the time that it was a Dodge or similiar, but think now it was one of these.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Schild on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 03:15 pm:

I just found another "Autowa body" on Ebay.

Thought ya'll might want to see it.
Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willoughby on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 03:38 pm:

I am unable to find the body on E-Bay is it recent.. Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Schild on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 05:29 pm:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-Model-T-roadster-Model-T-autowa-roadster-bod y_W0QQ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willoughby on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 10:55 am:

Thanks for the link. Have much research done on Autowa body no mention of a Roadster only Speedster and tourings. If this car was not so far from Florida would think about a sister for my tourning.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Schild on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 11:02 am:

It's only 15 miles from me, I just don't like the from end as compared to my Master body.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration