What is it?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: What is it?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 09:54 pm:

I bought this old truck about a year ago from the estate of Eldon Wormley, Redondo Beach, CA. Its an after market body on a 1924 T chassis. I cant find a body tag or a number on the body. Anyone have any idea who the body mfg. might be? Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 10:02 pm:

I cant help with id'ing it,but I can say,that is 1 neat truck .And if you get tired of that unidentified body,let me know.I am sure I can give it a good home on 1 of my frames! :>)
I wouldnt do a thing to that truck but maintain it and put gas and oil in it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Elkins on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 11:11 pm:

Agree with MAck, word for word!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Jeandrevin on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 11:40 pm:

Wow! That is a really awsome body! Don't touch it!

Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 11:54 pm:

It would look better if you oiled down the new floor boards with some used motor oil so they looked like they belong there. Very nice truck. I wouldn't restore it either.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 12:17 am:

The floor boards were beyond help so they had to be replaced. It now has a rebuilt engine, front end, ruckstell and all new wiring. So at this point, its a keeper.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Elkins on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 02:16 am:

again, agree with all that's been said. Get some saddle oil or other non-petroleum-based oil and keep the body wiped down. I use saddle oil on my TT because it don't hurt the old paint. Just keeps moisture from attacking any unpainted metal and makes it all look good. Just a suggestion from one unrestored T to another.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend, Gresham, Orygun on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 03:17 am:

Kim-
Looks like a Martin Perry to me.
-Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Hood on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 04:02 am:

I'm not sure what it is, but I don't think it is a Martin Parry, at least it is not like my M/P.

Ray, tell me more about the saddle oil. I want to preserve the look of my truck without making it look much darker, or like it is varnished. On some of the wood areas the paint it flaking, and I would like to coat it with something that will keep it stuck in place and stop further flaking.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Jeandrevin on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 06:51 am:

Kim,
Something you might consider:
When I was in the furniture business, I used to buy old recycled lumber. I would find for example oak from an old feed troff that was INSIDE a barn, or sometimes even get a sawmill to saw old elm barn beams into lumber. 100 year old lumber, even after being cleaned up and even plained, still retains that "old patina" look in the grain. It is expensive, but you wouldn't need much. You could recut the floor boards from it and they would look absolutely original. Who knows, they may have been from the same tree as the originals. Add a coat of oil to them and that's it!

Just a thought.

Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Jeandrevin on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 06:54 am:

(Linseed oil that is)
Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 08:56 am:

You lucky dog! Only another Model T'er would understand when I apply the word "BEAUTIFUL" to your truck. The proportions are perfect! Please leave it as is... except the floorboards.

If you could find an old barn or an old crate with solid weathered wooden planks of the same dimensions (width and thickness) from the 1920's, it would be great if you could use it to make a new, old floor board.

I hope you are keeping it sheltered and protected from the elements.

Jim

P.S. There are also salvage companies that tear down old houses and barns and neatly stockpile all the salvaged parts, including wooden floors and exterior planking, for people in need of original period parts and components for their houses and projects.

The Old House Journal has a directory of such suppliers: www.oldhousejournal.com/restoration_directory/rd_home.shtml

Here is one of the suppliers I pulled up from the above website: www.vintagewoods.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By andy samuelson on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 10:13 am:

Kim, Next time you are out this way stop by and I will give you some 200 yr old boards from when I replaced the barn floor. The only thing they ever had on them was hay.
Great looking truck. If you bring the truck I'll help fit the new old boards.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Cullen on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 10:15 am:

Absolutely gorgeous old truck! wait a minute.... it's just old junk.... I'll be there first thing in the morning to help you out by hauling it away for you. ;)

Most medium sized or larger cities have a building materials salvage company that specializes in plumbing, electrial and structural components. You could easily find the small amount of material you need there. Another option would be if you know of any older working farms or ranches. (or one that has recently shut down) Once in a while you can find someone with an old corn crib, shed, or minor outbuilding that the owner would be happy to have you remove and clean up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By model t mike on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 01:28 pm:

website called coachbuiltcars has lots of information about body builders

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince M on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 04:36 pm:

When i first saw the photo i said - wow..now thats a nice truck! Dont know what makes it so apealing. My next thought was - "i bet others on this forum agree" as i scrolled down i can see my intuition was correct. Something about it.

Vince

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 12:48 am:

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions. I would never restore the body any further then the floor boards, which I will "age" in the near future. I have an old magazine which shows this truck in the early 1960's going up Shell hill at the long Beach Model T club Hill climb. Also in that picture, is Larry Smith who was at that time was about as skinny as one can get. I will see if I can find the magazine and post it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Hoffman, Hays KS on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 01:17 am:

Use your mouse, right click and "set as background", this is NOW my wallpaper, the best wallpaper this laptop had ever had. Now every time I turn on this computer I will see that gorgeous old truck! Jerry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Halpin on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 07:00 am:

That "Poor but Honest" look!
It doesn't get much better than that.
It says exactly what made the Model T the icon it is today.
"I'm old, I'm worn, and I'm STILL just as useful as I was when I was new and shiny.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Halpin on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 07:06 am:

That "Poor but Honest" look!
It doesn't get much better than that.
It says exactly what made the Model T the icon it is today.
"I'm old, I'm worn, and I'm STILL just as useful as I was when I was new and shiny.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend, Gresham, Orygun on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 10:58 am:

Kim-
This Martin Parry used to be local but moved to the other side of the state.
-Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sherm Wetherbee on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 11:39 am:

In addition to the large companies, nearly every medium to large city had a cabinet shop or wood working shop who built Model T bodies. There were companies who sold the hardware and plans. Many were built in local shops which saved on shipping. I just brought home a "salesman's box" the enclosed cabinet type which replaced the turtle deck on a runabout. It had the name E.B. Coval. T Hancock, MD stenceled on the bottom where it was out of sight, Probably the name of the maker??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 12:32 pm:

Somewhere around here, Kim, I have a brass tag off a pickup box that a kind soul sent to me. Can't find it or a pic right now, but IIRC, it said,
Earl Wagner
909 Fourth St.
Santa Ana, Cal.

So don't overlook that this body could have been made locally, along with the hundreds of other parts and accessories for the Ford.

I've been by there, and it's just an empty lot now.

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By milt roorda on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 04:01 pm:

Sherm Wetherbee
I have been looking to build a salesman's box
would you have any pictures that you could email
to me. Sorry Kim to hijack your theard.
Milt Roorda
mroorda@tampabay.rr.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 04:25 pm:

Well make that 2 of us that made that truck the screen background.I did it the day he posted it.I did have Heather Locklear on there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By andy samuelson on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 08:29 pm:

Mack, Are you crazy, how could you give up Heather for a picture of a old truck. Maybe you are getting old before your time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Hall on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 09:55 pm:

Hi Kim,
Your wonderful truck has a strong resemblance to the York Body Co's Model 404 Cab Seat Body of 1923-4. It cost $108 new.

image/bmp404 Body
404 Body.BMP (60.2 k)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Elkins on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 10:31 pm:

Is it me, or do these posts of EXCELLENT trucks come in spurts? This is the second really cool truck posted in the past few days that I've not seen before. I do think there is nothing that tops the look of an early (T or otherwise) truck in it's original and unrestored finish (or a very old repaint).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By johnd on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 12:56 pm:

I'm taking a salesmans box that fits where the rdster deck goes to Chickasha, has all 4 drawers the full length of the box, single rear door w/brass handle, at one time it had had a small rack on top of it, you can see the indented areas, and screw holes in it, really nice original condition, its too large to ship UPS and if it goes truck, I've been scared someone would mishandle it and crush it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Noyes on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 09:53 am:

How about Harrington Manufacturing out of Peoria, Il, that who made mine. Note the top and split window, just a guess.
Here is another place to search http://www.coachbuilt.com/index.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie in Houston on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 08:06 pm:

Kim, can you drive something without a brass radiator. Just kidding. See you in Chickasha

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nelson Jones on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 09:45 pm:

Dan That is a neat truck. How do you see to drive it without mirrors. Nelson

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bud scudder on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 10:02 pm:

Hi Guys, I Totally agree with all who thinks an original Model T Truck of any style is the epitome of Model T preserved examples. I have a barn fresh touring, fordor, TT farm truck, but to me a PU still wearing it's work clothes is Model T's finest. Here's a photo of my '16. BUD 1916 ROADSTER P.U.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael K Johnson on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 11:07 pm:

I read somewhere that wagons were treated with tar on wooden areas but rather than stickey tar it would probably be more like asphaltum which is very close but must be different in viscosity and drying property. Buses and train car wooden floor boards were coated with it as anti slip.

Wish I had that nice truck to try it out on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Elkins on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 04:44 am:

Nice truck Bud!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Journey on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 11:13 pm:

Kim, that's a gorgeous truck. Keith that's a nice photo of my truck there. I just bought an old weathered wood truck bed with original hardware to build a trailer to tag along behind my hack.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sherm Wetherbee on Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 07:55 pm:

Dan Noyes, You should tell the readers of the forum the history of your mail truck. They will be interested. By the way Had enough snow yet?? Sherm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl Sorenson on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 12:19 am:

Well I tried the "right click for background deal" ...... It worked........Good lookin' Lil'Truck......I have a "TT" dump truck that's ready for a final paint job......I wish I could produce a "faux" finish for her like that...Thats right up there with the 'skinnin' truck I saw in Vintage Ford once.......Hope to see ya around...Carl aka Spanky

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration