Early pics from New Zealand

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: Early pics from New Zealand
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Brown on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 08:06 pm:

Just thought these pics might be of interest...it is always good to see period pics of cars

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Brown on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 08:09 pm:

Wellington Mail Car (New Zealand)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Brown on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 08:11 pm:

This is the car used by the Wanganui volunteer Fire Brigade-descibed as "ideal for racing to a fire."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Brown on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 08:13 pm:

R H J Hamlin's Premises Napier approx 1913?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Brown on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 08:14 pm:

What year are these cars? Interested for ideas....Taken in Carterton, New Zealand

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Brown on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 08:15 pm:

Close up of previous photo

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Brown on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 08:17 pm:

Ohura County Council Chambers, New Zealand

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Brown on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 08:22 pm:

Town Car, Christchurch, New Zealand

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren F Rollins on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 08:32 pm:

Great pictures Alex. The Hughans dealership looks like 1914. Check out the windshields and doors.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Brown on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 08:33 pm:

What about the outside rear door handles and the pnale between front and rear doors?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren F Rollins on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 09:11 pm:

Alex, I have been reading too many Centennial postings. Those are late 12s. the removeable door kind. Great pictures. Keep them coming.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 11:32 pm:

More like mid year 1912's. Probably built in January or Febriary 1912. The body is the earlier style but has the one piece dash and tall forward doors. Also interesting is that they are all L/H steering. Is that picture from New Zealand?

Royce

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Brown on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 11:44 pm:

Thats a very interesting point!!!

Food for though.....

It is supposed to be Carterton in New Zealand....but do not have any info beyond that. it is from a book published sometime back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Brown on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 11:45 pm:

Actually taking a closer look.....they are RHD Royce...no the ammount of seat space to the right of each driver in the pic....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 12:10 am:

Right you are Alex and so are they! Nice batch of photos. Thanks for posting them!

Royce

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roland Palmatier -- Durham, NH on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 01:16 am:

It appears that the The Hughans Dealership cars are 1912 as the one just left of the car under the "A" in Agent shows the removable front door; only in 1912. Maybe different in NZ??

I like that Town Car. Very nice thanks for posting the pictures.

Regards, Roland

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Brown on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 07:00 pm:

Makes you wonder what happened to all those cars.

There is a big dump about an hour from me where apparently down the bottom is alot of cars.

One guy dumped a sevean seater studebaker amoungst about 4 other cars because lots of people wanted to buy them so istead of selling he dumped them....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 07:22 pm:

Alex, one of the best bosses I had when I was living in Amsterdam was a New Zealander. He once explained to me that Auckland is such a dull town that a banner headline in the newspaper once read, "WOMAN ALMOST HIT BY BUS!" :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Brown on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 07:40 pm:

Interesting interpretation....if somewhat disagreeable...

However, as I am a south islander I wouldn't know... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevin Gough on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 09:38 pm:

Hi Alex. This NZ pic is on Trademe at present.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Brown on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 11:34 pm:

Thats a cool pic Nevin!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevin Gough on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 12:52 am:

Try this one...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Simon Bayley on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 03:44 am:

Interesting Pics from across the ditch in Australia. Thought to have been taken around the 1920's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Stokes on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 01:19 am:

Hi Alex and All,
Some info on the NZ pics which you might enjoy.
RHJ Hamlin was the Ford agent in Napier - these are newly-arrived cars from Canada, just after they've been "assembled" on the street outside. The remnants of the packing cases are evident. It was quite common to unpack and "assemble" the Ts on the main street outside a dealership - assembly amounted to little more than putting on the wheels, steering wheels and adding oil, petrol and water!
You are right, Hughans Garage was in Carterton, in the Wairarapa (just north of Wellington). Harry Hughan and the Wilkinson family, who had purchased Souters (Waikato - Auckland area), would still be debating today which of the two had the first Ford agency in NZ. It was certainly one of them!
The pic taken outside Ohura County Council (near Taumarunui) was November, 1912. It is of the three who undertook the first journey by road from Wellington to Auckland - the tale was published by one of the three, Arthur Chorlton, approx 1947. The T was a new one, provided by The Colonial Motor Co, who saw the publicity opportunity. Note the mother-in-law seat. The journey took 8 days - today it would take around 8 hours.
Some of the other pics are, I think, in the "Ford Ahead" book - if you haven't got a copy of that, let me know and I'll get you Roger Gardner's contact details.
I love the Model T polo, I suppose, from Aussie. What a hoot! If they don't die from being thrown off, the third-degree burns to the bum will get them!
All the best.
John Stokes

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Simon Bayley on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 01:34 am:

Hi John,

No doubt you will have copies but the top 2 are from the Canadian Ford times...VERY interesting mags....shame I have only found 2 so far...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lindsay Martin on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 03:39 am:

why are all the town's in NZ so hard to pronounce?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Simon Bayley on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 03:56 am:

Probably the Maori words? The locals who were here before cook arrived....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adrian Whiteman on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 05:02 am:

How about a TT on Mangaroa Hill, Upper Hutt (NZ)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adrian Whiteman on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 05:04 am:

Or maybe a baker's truck from Kaponga

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adrian Whiteman on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 05:07 am:

And a milk truck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adrian Whiteman on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 05:10 am:

Finishing with a NZ bodied dump truck from Wanganui.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adrian Whiteman on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 05:12 am:

OOps, forgot the Gear Meat Co delivery truck...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Brown on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 05:13 am:

Hi Adrain,

They are really cool pics...saving them to file...

Where in the country are you from?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adrian Whiteman on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 05:19 am:

Hi Alex, just up the road in Rangiora. My 26 TT is almost road worthy - not a restoration, but a "renovation".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 07:56 am:

"RHJ Hamlin was the Ford agent in Napier..."

Hamlin is not that common a name, but a semi-famous Franklin dealer from the earliest days in Los Angeles was a Ralph Hamlin.

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Brown on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 02:02 am:

Mmm know anymore about him or his family?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 09:26 am:

I believe Ralph Hamlin started the famous race from Los Angeles to Phoenix in the early days. www.FranklinCar.org may have something on him.

He apparently gave one each of every year Franklin to the County of Los Angeles museums. Some of them may still be in storage at the Petersen.

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 10:15 am:

There was a 1913 to 1915 brass radiator touring car running around Christchurch in 1957 to 1959 when I was stationed there with the U. S. Navy's Operation Deepfreeze group. I always wondered what happened to that T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By speed-o on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 11:16 am:

those are some pretty neat pictures

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration