Coil box switch

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: Coil box switch
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Guy D Nelli on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 02:21 pm:

my 1915 coil box switch, (the three contacts) are just about worn out, after 93 years. i looked them up in the supplyers cataloge and wow there expensive , over $200. is there someone who rebuilds them cheaper than that? guy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren F Rollins on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 06:02 pm:

Guy, Is the bakelight portion of the switch OK? They are relatively simple and could probably be repared with some good used internal parts that probably could be rounded up on the classified adds section. Check it out and get back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Guy D Nelli on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 07:17 pm:

warren, theres no bakelite in the switch. the key moves the center, which is metal sandwitched between heavy like cardboard, riveted in place. there are (3) contacts w/3 wires mag,grnd, bat. that are almost worn out. (turn the key one way and it connects mag and ground. the other way connects bat and grnd. (but car has no have no battery) each contact is mounted w/ a special rivet that has a threaded center, for a screw to attatch the appropiate wire. i have been watching ebay for years and never seen one. i could make my own (contacts) but i cant make the special rivets. by the way this is the second reply here because the first one got deleted when v deck shut down the site before i could post. guy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Elkins on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 08:49 pm:

Do you have a picture of one of the rivets, Guy?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 09:13 pm:

How about something like this. After mounting rivets, drill and thread them.
http://www.hansonrivet.com/w02.htm
There are threaded pop rivets out there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Elkins on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 09:18 pm:

That's what I was thinking Mark. Gotta be creative! :-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration