Trans drum

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: Trans drum
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 05:00 pm:

How hard is it to change a cracked trans drum ? its the low speed one .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim ( www.ModelTengine.com ) on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 05:05 pm:

It's easy. The problem is getting to it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 05:10 pm:

It depends on the kind of job you do. If you are concerned about saving the low speed gear like I might, you would remove the gear sleeve from the drum and rivit it to another low speed drum. If not, then substitute another low speed drum, gear and all. If you do the latter, you need to install a new bushing and bore or ream it to fit. Whatever you do, you have to pull the engine and disassemble the tranmission. A critical tool to have is a driven gear puller.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 12:51 pm:

Jay, where are you located? I have all the proper tools and a good used drum (magnafluxed and absolutely free of cracks) to do the job.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 01:09 pm:

Do you have any idea, Jay, what caused the crack?

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 02:34 pm:

I do, heat! That drum is in the middle and gets hotter quicker for that reason and becuse it is used more. The reverse drum and band are usually like new. The brake drum may need lugs on the inside and may crack on occasion.

Kevlar bands can get hotter before they begin to smoke and smell. That situation may also often lead to a cracked drum, usually low.

The first secret to driving a Model T is to keep your feet off all the pedals as much as possible.

The second secret is to get the engine running well enough to go up hill in high gear. That usually requires having the coils redone and perhaps the carb rebuilt.

The third secret is to never drive in a slow parade that requires low gear to drive slow enough.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 04:10 pm:

If you hold the pedal down hard and the band is adjusted right you should have no problem with the low drum. The problem is caused either by the adjustment being too tight which causes the band to drag while you are in high gear or neutral or by slipping the band by not depressing the pedal all the way, or having the adjustment so loose that it slips when the pedal is pressed down hard. With correct adjustment and the band and durm will not overheat.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 09:07 pm:

Im in Ms .other than the drum being 90 + years old & more than likely abused by previous owners who knows why it cracked.i know that its gonna be a pain in the butt to fix.and looking expensive too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim ( www.ModelTengine.com ) on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 07:20 pm:

Jay must have slipped that bad drum into my car last week when I wasn't looking....

Look me up Jay, I'm doing one right now. I can do yours next if you want! Photo under "joined the cracked drum club" thread.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration