Engine Rebuild Questions

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: Engine Rebuild Questions
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 06:23 pm:

I have an engine I want to rebuild, but it's gonna need some machine work.

1. It has some pretty bad pitting on the deck near the rear water jacket opening. How much can you mill the deck?

2. How do I know if someone has already milled on it in the past?

3. It looks like I will need to do a little boring too. Are oversized cast iron pistons available anymore?

4. If not, are there any aluminum pistons with the wide rings? I'm scared to mill the deck and then have 1/8" piston rings coming to the top.

5. How much can you mill a head? Not looking for HP here, just cleaning up the rust pits. Bear in mind that I'm probably looking at milling the deck too. I don't want any contact going on in there.

Thanks,

Hal

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 06:31 pm:

You should be able to take up to 1/8 inch off the head and clean up the deck. If it is that badly corroded,you'll need to look for a different block. I would go with new,aluminum pistons and rings. I've never heard of anybody having problem with them coming up out of the block to far. You could JB Weld the deck prior to milling it. Any pits would still be filled and get you a water seal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Sizemore on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 10:46 pm:

Hal
I tried to call. Give me a call
JS

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Belland on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 11:29 pm:

HAL when the block gets decked go with light cuts have the machinist stop and check the progress often maybe have a head gasket on hand to lay on top of the block so he can see exactly what areas are covered by it not all pitting in the remaining areas needs to be removed.

When re-boring be sure to tell the machinist the rings travel to the top of the cylinder because a lot of machinist's to-day like to chamfer the cylinder top on a 45 degree angle to help reduce ring breakage,(tell him you don't want the chamfer). RAY

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 11:34 pm:

Do the rings go all the way to the top with the aluminum pistons or just on the original cast iron pistons?

John, I'll give you a call tomorrow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR. on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 11:38 pm:

Yes, they go all the way up on the aluminum ones too.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration