Radiators - which is better?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: Radiators - which is better?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Laplander on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 07:01 pm:

Okay - I have a chance at either a nice, solid honeycomb radiator (that has been shop tested) for my '22 TT (being restored as a 1918-1922 military vehicle), or a regular finned type radiator. Which is better? Which is more correct? Fill me in! (No pun intended.)

Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By johnd on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 07:13 pm:

honeycombed is aftermarket, T and TT's came with regular and it cools better.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Sizemore on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 07:14 pm:

The finned would cool better and be more correct. Is it round tube or flat tube?
JS

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Laplander on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 07:29 pm:

Don't know that yet for sure, but I'm almost certain its round.

Thanks guys.

Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim ( www.ModelTengine.com ) on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 07:33 pm:

New finned, or old finned. The fins separate from the tubes with age, then they don't cool. This keeps the brassworks in business. Honeycomb radiators clog or leak with age. They never lose the conduction between the hot water inside and outside air.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Laplander on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 07:36 pm:

Sounds like a horse a piece then, Tim. What do you suggest?

Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 07:40 pm:

Not trying to influence you either way but be careful making a "deal" on an original T era radiator. Those ALL seem to hold water fine but many of them have long ago ceased to operate as heat exchangers as has been mentioned by Tim. I had what appeared to be a very good original radiator on my T when I got it. Looked great - no leaks but the thing would boil over after a short bit of driving. I richened the mixture and advanced the timing but it still boiled. It was not plugged up but it just did NOT cool. Got a new radiator and that was the end of the trouble. If the radiator is no good - a water pump will NOT help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim ( www.ModelTengine.com ) on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 07:47 pm:

I would strongly suggest you call someone and order a brand new radiator for your T. Then you won't have to worry about it anymore. They are expensive, but worth it. I had a pump on my 23 touring car a few years back, to compensate for a poor cooling radiator. I can still remember the stress of trying to find a hose in the middle of nowhere because it had boiled over again on the way to the meeting place. We missed the tour that day and limped home, stopping every few miles to let it cool off again. It took hours to get home again. I bought a new one the next day and never had another problem with overheating. I can sell you one and have it drop-shipped to you, or call the Brassworks directly. I've ordered three in the last two months, two for customers and one for my 27.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Laplander on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 08:15 pm:

Tim, shoot me a price and I'll talk to the financier about it.

Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim ( www.ModelTengine.com ) on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 08:46 pm:

Need more info, what year car do you have?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim ( www.ModelTengine.com ) on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 08:52 pm:

I sent you a pm, it has my email address in it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 12:29 am:

Changeing over to a second hand flat tube on my TT made a world of difference over the 1 I had on it.

Funny thing is on the project I can drive,I got a old low radiator that had early 60's newspapers cramed in it to keep out rodents,didnt work by the way,and it was apparently shelfed till last year when I got a hold of it.I washed that thing out till I was blue in the face,cleaned it up,soldered up cracks and joints,and that little T aint even thought about over heating.I did use a water wetter in it.
Some old radiators are junk ,but there are some old 1's out there that work just fine.
I have a couple honey comb raditors that I will be trying to make 1 out of soon for the speedster.I hope it works out.i like the look.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Calloway on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 08:22 am:

I've got to agree with Tim and John. I put a Brassworks flat tube on my 23 after I overhauled the engine. It looks great and I regularly drive mine on the hottest days with no problems. Before I broke down and bought a new one, I tried a water pump which actually seemed to make things worse. IMHO, spring for a new one and be done with it. Money well spent if you plan to do any touring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 12:37 pm:

As for age, does anyone know of a honeycomb radiator that has been made in the last 68 years?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sherm Wetherbee on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 10:41 pm:

Wholesale radiator companies sell honycomb material in blocks and in different thicknesses. Cut off what you need and solder on a header, top and lower tank, can still be made today.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration