Redneck crank pulley anti-rattler...

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: Redneck crank pulley anti-rattler...
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Bamford on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 10:08 pm:

I fould this today puttering around the front of my '26 Touring.

Reminds me of my friend's 1923 Packard Six-- a few owners back some genius welded the drain plug right into the oil pan. At least it never leaked.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Frink on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 10:21 pm:

OOOHHH, that's going to be fun!!!
Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Elkins on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 10:26 pm:

Looks like the same dingaling worked on your T as did my old LeRoi compressor. Magneto ears were broken off so they just welded it on. Problem was, it wasn't in the proper position and I couldn't adjust the timing. Probably why it got sold for scrap. Took about 2 hours of careful grinding and Dremeling to get that thing off there, then another 2-3 hours welding up the broken housing and milling everything back to the condition where it was usable again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Bamford on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 11:28 pm:

Ten careful minutes with a die grinder should win this battle once the crank is out of the way. I'm not expecting the bore to be tight on the shaft.

This was probably done in the early '60s when my car was owned by the Ford dealer in Olds, Alberta. You have to give the guy credit for a job well done -- the pulley runs true and that's a respectable weld.

Can't you just see the mechanics standing in front of the car with the shop welder and grinning... "Ahh, go ahead Floyd -- it's not like we'll be around in 40 years when the next guy wants to take it off."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 10:29 am:

When I got my 1918 TT the crankshaft and the pully were both worn to where the pully was floppy. A new pully would have been loose on the crankshaft. I suppose that was the case here. I have seen them shimmed up with a sliver off of a tin can to take up the looseness. That can't work very well for long. Can it? (pun intended)
This weld fix might be better if you weren't going to take the crank out to build it up and return it to the original size.
You could always do it right later. Can't you
Herb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 11:11 am:

Hey,Some of us Rednecks have better sense than to do something like that!:>)
Actually,Dont think for 1 minute I hadnt thought about it on my 1 ton before the tin can shim idea was presented.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 12:35 pm:

That does keep them from rattling. I had one like that last summer. The welder was not very good and there were only a few small weld spots, so it came off easy with a little grinding first.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration