RE bearing washer/ cap Question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: RE bearing washer/ cap Question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By larry on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 10:10 pm:

Im setting the RE outer bearings on the housing
Question -does the washer that goes after the bearing fit INSIDE the tube cotacting the sleeves or does it rides agaist the end lip of housing -?here is a pic. i found of the washer riding agaist the end lip

Thank You Larry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 10:21 pm:

It goes inside the outer washer cap and holds felt in place. One can only hope you're not going to use that axle?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken - SAT on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 12:04 am:

No washer on the outside. Some folks install a thin washer between the bearing and felt. Keeps the bearing from eating the felt seal. After the felt just install the cap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By larry on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 12:07 am:

Jack --So the way is pictured is right?
And why not use it ill fix it with JB weld

RElAX--- just kiding This picture i found in the long ago listings i dont know who this axle belongs to but i remenber it was replaced
Thank You---- Larry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken - SAT on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 12:07 am:

Forgot to mention-
That picture was probably used to describe a problem. In fact it looks like my edit but no washer goes between the felt and cap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By larry on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 12:19 am:

Let me explain --the felt goes on next- see pic.
then the cap? note washer rides OUTSIDE of tube
OR is the washer smaller diameter and goes INTO [INSIDE]
the tube where it contacts the edje of the sleeve
and agaist the bearing,. Then felt then cap?
---
Larry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken - SAT on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 12:32 am:

NO washer on the outside of the felt. . . . (Period) Before the cap goes on, you should see the felt. The washer used on the inner seal is smaller and fits inside the tube. This smaller diameter washer is sometimes used between the bearing and felt.

The picture is WRONG!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken - SAT on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 12:34 am:

The felt should bearly extend past the axle tube. The felt goes INSIDE the axle tube and gets compressed by the cap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By larry on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 12:51 am:

That is the equation --I will use the smaller washers so the cap will go in further and the hub will be futher away from the cap.This sway it will be set at the max taper
Yes The picture is wrong only used it to get an idea of the set up imaginening there was no felt under the washer---
Thank you

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration