Chassis Question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: Chassis Question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By larry on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 09:43 pm:

Acording to the book the distance between the radiator mounting bolts is.. 21 1/2" center to center of hole [on front cross menber]
Question ...I have a 26 chassis and it is spread about 1/8 off that is 21-5/8 + or - Do i try to pull it together or can i live with it without puting stress on radiator.
And if ihave to pull it together what is best way
to do so
Thank you all [hope i explained myself well]
larry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 09:50 pm:

Check the front crossmember.If the front and back of it are sprawled out,or bent inwards it may have things torqued a bit.A 1/8th may not bother ye,but if it is apart,I would pull it back together.1 of mine was to close thanks to some shrinkage from welding.So I used a porta power to push it out.I guess if you have the puller for a porta power that would be the best tool to use.You will need to pull it inward a small bit passed the right measurement,release tension and it should go right.Maby some others can clear up any muddy water I stired up

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 09:57 pm:

Wrap a heavy log chain around the front X-member and over a Hydralic jack. Then just jack the chain up till you get it back where it should be.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 06:43 pm:

The chain idea is good but the 26 chassis has ears like where the fenders mount and they are in the way of the chain ,. if i pull up with the jack on the chain it tends to bend them in
I might have to get a long bar to pull the chain at a distance fron the ears ..
Thank you for your help
Regards Larry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 06:49 pm:

Cut/place a small block of hard wood in there and pull away.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By larry on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 08:36 pm:

Jack,. I used the 2" pipe to clear the ears26 T ford 21 1/2 hole to hole

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 08:45 pm:

Ezcellent idea! Thanks for sharing. (I don't own any new fords,but some folks do.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth H. Todd on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 08:52 pm:

Larry, I see you have one of those bolt chains.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 07:36 am:

I have never heard of a front crossmember bending downward like that. Are you sure it is bent? Before bending that front cross-member, make sure the front cross-member was not re-riveted at one time. Front cross-member rivets are notorious for rusting out, because of the years exposed to radiator water overflow. If someone re-riveted it, they could have positioned the side channels too far apart, which means the crossmember is fine and it is the side bar channels that are off. It could have even been riveted wrong at the factory and has been fine all these years. If that is the case, and you bend that crossmember, it will throw the whole front end body to radiator and fender alignment off and you will play heck getting it back to where it was. Instead of risking this, I would live with the 1/8" and open up the radiator holes to eliminate the threat of stress and accomodate the difference. Good luck. Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 08:41 am:

PS With a 1/8" (too wide) difference on the front crossmember, it will only take a 1/16" inward enlargement of the holes on each radiator ear cup to relieve the threat of stress you fear. Not enough, really to worry about. I would be more worried about deforming the crossmember channel, on which the two arsm must be at the same angle and uniform for the chassis to remain square. Have you thought that one side may stay the same, while the other may bend up, resulting in a twisted frame, or that you may crack the channel on each side at the point where it bends up, thus weakening the crossmember? The steel there is already stretched. Or it could just collapse suddenly and altogether as you tighten the chain and the pressure becomes too much, much like when you try to bend a piece of steel square tubing, a piece of channel or a length of steel pipe. No matter how careful you are, it is almost always unsuccessful, as the piece suddenly collapses. Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 09:42 am:

Jim,here in farm country,most frames ended up under hay wagons and believe me,they got overloaded and the front x-members are stretched down and rails out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 10:19 am:

Thanks Jack. I don't know what type of Model T Larry has, or what type of history, but Ford chassis were well known for their flexibility and toughness and it took alot to bend them. I can understand how the rear might sustain such damage, especially on a farm truck, but it is hard to envision the front crossmember sustaining that kind of damage, for, if the front end wound up with that kind of weight on top of it, the hood and front fenders would collapse before the crossmember would bend.

If one needed to bend the crossmember arms up, how would one ensure that the arms are bent up equally, instead of unequally and is it really necessary to do that to correct a minor 1/8" frame discrepancy? It would seem like, with over 15 million Model T's manufactured, mistakes in the factory were bound to occur, especially with such a high rate of employee turnover that Ford had back then and, as such, Model T's would have been engineered to accomodate such minor mistakes in manufacturing. As I said, I believe it would be best to leave it as is and make 1/16" inward adjustments in each of the radiator arm cup holes to compensate for the 1/8" the front end is off. Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 10:23 am:

Most model T 's are more forgiving than that. I guess if you're really into getting it straight,you could take it to a frame shop.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration