Drive shaft inner sleeve

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: Drive shaft inner sleeve
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Bunner on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 09:00 am:

Before I realized how cheap a new drive shaft was, I decided to JB weld my drive shaft inner sleeve to the drive shaft. I want to know if anyone has ever done this before and how well does it work?

If someone has done this before and it fails (for whatever reason I can't think of...) then I will opt to purchase a new drive shaft and get the modern drive shaft pinion bearing assembly as well...

let's hear your thoughts!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenny Edmondson on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 09:49 am:

Michael, that's one area that you don't want to fail. Loose your grive shaft or other axle component and you loose your brakes unless you have external brakes. How bad is your drive shaft? You can probably find a good used one also. If there is enough wear to where your considering JB weld I'd be concerned about controlling the runout of the shaft when "gluing" things together. Do you have a picture of the drive shaft wear area? The modern bearing is the way to go also.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Bunner on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 10:00 am:

please explain run-out? The shaft itself is in great shape (other than the wear where the bearing sleeve was sitting). So, if there is some kind of end play or other variable that would cause the sleeve to need to have some movement, please explain. I assumed no movement needed and hence the JB weld.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenny Edmondson on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 10:18 am:

If the shaft is in great shape, why would you be using JB weld? If the sleeve is in bad shape throw it away and buy the modern bearing as it doesn't use the sleeve anyway. If the sleeve is loose on the shaft because the shaft is worn and you don't have the shaft centered in the race, then you'll have axial runout or a wobble of the pinion gear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Barker on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 01:01 pm:

May I suggest you go and read the following thread from late February:
Natchez trace update
I don't know why it was called that!
Towards the end, you will find the results of some calculations I did (which may not be correct!), which indicate that the forces and relative movements in this location are too great for any adhesive. The other content should also give you pause for thought.
It's just not worth taking a chance in this area, and if you fit the modern bearings, you don't depend on this friction fit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 01:11 pm:

Nobody answered my question from that thread, "Why is the inner sleeve keyed to the pinion key?"

I wonder if it was that way from the beginning, or a lesson learnt?

rdr

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration