Newbie stuffs up again!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: Newbie stuffs up again!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Brown on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 11:33 am:

I have been replacing all the broken and cracked brackets on my TT frame. Yesterday I tackled the front brackets holding the front crossmember to the side channels. One was broken, the other had been welded up. I have two reasonable replacements but when I put them in position, they were two low by about 1/2 inch The photos show the new and old brackets sitting in position . new bracketold bracket
I thought the TT and car frames were the same size at the front. Is there a difference in the side channel size that has caused this, and I have two car brackets instead of truck brackets? And if so , does anyone know where I can get a couple of the correct sized brackets?

Thanks

Jeff

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 12:02 pm:

The side channel of the chassis in a TT is taller and I think they are wider and made of thicker material, too. They are set so the out to out demension is the same as a car so the engine mounts, steering column, fenders, hood, firewall, etc. are interchangeable with car parts.

Other things you may already know:

The TT steering lower bracket is different than a car. I think the block is different, too but am not sure.
The TT neutral cam on the brake assembly is longer than a car's.
The TT hood hold downs are longer.
I think the earlier TT's had engine mount side blocks like the cars, but later were discontinued to allow more chassis flex, which the truck apparently needed.

Seems like there's more, but that's all I can come up with right now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By scott rosenthal on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 12:15 pm:

Jeff:
I'm guessing that one or more of the TT faithful may jump in here to help you get these correct brackets, but if not, you may want to contact Model T Haven. Their stuff is always rusty but typically usable, and they'll cut you a decent price to take these parts off one of their bone yard cadavers. Not sure what these should cost, but I'm guessing maybe $10.00 per side?
Regards,
Scott Rosenthal

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Brown on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 12:51 pm:

Henry - thanks for the info - was only aware of some of these.

Scott - thanks for the suggestion but my replacements actually came from there and I know I specified they were for a TT!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Elkins on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 01:36 pm:

John Danuser should have these, or Phil Mino. There are other form members I would imagine that have them, but they are the two that come to mind

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By scott rosenthal on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 02:29 pm:

Mark Freimiller:
I'm sure this is an unfortunate miscommunication at your end, and as one of your satisfied customers, I trust you will make haste to make this right by this man.
Regards,
Scott Rosenthal

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 08:28 pm:

Yep,I found that out a year or so ago when I was assembling a TT chassis.I thought the car and truck were the same.Some members helped me on some brackets.Aint working on that chassis lately.Waiting to get some of the more fixable and driveable stuff going.Once I do start again on it I think I will try my hand at the rivoting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Houston, Broken Arrow, OK on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 08:50 pm:

Not being a truck guy particularly, I can tell you from experience that the front cross member for a car is different than the truck. A truck crossmember is not compatible with a brass radiator. Fred

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By johnd on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 10:22 pm:

Jeff I'll look tommorrow to see if I have them John Danuser Fulton Mo

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Brown on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 10:52 am:

Thanks John, I was just about to email you!!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration