Re-bushing steering gear case covers (update)

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: Re-bushing steering gear case covers (update)
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Elkins on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 03:52 pm:

Update from thread http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/47187.html?1203449539

I did make a change that I did not foresee on the first one I did (the one I posted pictures of). After some thought, I realized the purpose of the steel sleeve was not so much as a bushing but rather there to provide a continuous smooth radial surface. Since the keyways and gear teeth are broached farther up the pinion shaft than is actually used (see picture on original post), that only leaves about .50" of smooth linear surface around the shaft. These grooves would wear a brass bushing prematurely. Therefore I left the steel sleeve in place and machined it to a wall thickness of approximately .060" and the flange to .050" then polished both. The brass bushing also has a wall thickness of approximately the same, and the flange thickness as well. This way, we did away with the need for a steel shim washer, and give a continous smooth surface to run against the brass.

Also, the stem originally used on the fixture (faux gear case) was removed and the fixture held in a 4-jaw chuck. The reason for this is, apparently, the case covers were not originally held to any strict tolerance when machined. Each cover placed on the fixture was different as far as the bore being centered. In a 4-jaw, each cover can be indicated and the bore centered.

Here are some pictures of two that I did for a forum member. They are finished other than a quick honing to running clearance (and of course a quick bath in the parts washer).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Halpin on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 06:26 pm:

I'm keeping an eye on this Ray.
In the near future I'm going to be taking my car apart for some real comprhensive repairs and I'll get with you about fixing mine.

Dennis.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Elkins on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 04:46 am:

Be my pleasure Dennis
Ray

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 01:52 pm:

I want to thank Ray for getting my steering cover fixed. Much much nicer then before. The wheel turns nice and no slop.
Thanks for the time taken to do this.
MarkG

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lee Crenshaw on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 12:03 am:

Ray, I feel like I'm on the TV! Your using my covers for the pictures and all. Thanks for making this service available to the members of this forum.
Lee Crenshaw...Richmond, Va.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Pappas on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 01:46 am:

Good for you Ray.
John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Elkins on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 05:04 am:

Thanks fellas for the opportunity to help you out. I enjoy being a small part of your success keeping these cars on the road and a pleasure to drive.

Hopefully John will be as pleased with his door latch as soon as I get that finished!

Thanks again
Ray

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration