Another one back on the road again...

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: Another one back on the road again...
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthony J. Marino on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 07:48 pm:

...after several winter months of work. Installed a rebuilt hogshead cover, rebuilt Muncie transmission, and rebuilt Muncie universal joint:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uDBAQ2BbrE

The whine you hear at the end of this next video is my replaced Muncie sealed bearings (in overdrive) asking to be broken in more:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YisKXzZ9bdw

Thanks for looking, Tony

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthony J. Marino on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 10:03 pm:

Here is another video of me doing a very bad job trying to teach my daughter to drive my C Cab. You can tell she loves to drive it with her hugh smile.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWBEM4yjI1Y

Thanks for looking, Tony

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl Sorenson on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 10:38 pm:

Tony.....Those videos must be"Hot Off The Presses"....ya did a good job !!!! I love those C-Cabs,,,,,I've got a closed cab body ready to paint and put on my Dumptruck an I swear I'd trade it in a minute for C-Cab.....I wish I knew how to scan a photo to the forum I'd send a neat old photo of what was going to be my "first car"...I was 14yrs. old,I just turned 60....Have fun with it a pass more Youtube's our way.........Carl aka Spanky

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gord rolfe on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 11:51 pm:

tony thanks for giving me my first driving lesson in a t .later this spring i hope to have mine up and running. gord gravelbourg,sask,canada

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 12:07 am:

Great videos. Makes me want to take my girls for a drive. GREAT!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adrian Whiteman on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 04:32 am:

Oh dear - you may have started something now. My girls are keen to learn as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Elkins on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 05:05 am:

Way to go Tony! That was one big grin you're sportin!

Good-lookin truck. Wish my TT would scoot like that. Maybe I'm gonna have to reconsider putting the Warford in!
Ray

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Weir on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 08:15 am:

Tony; That looks good, mine is similar. Your cowl lites are used as tail lites on mine with red lenses with a small blue center. My headlite lenses have the green eyebrows to keep from blinding low flying aircraft. I also have the RM brakes like you. Neeto! Mine is on my profile. Keepem running.

Sincerely

Jim Weir

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 08:44 am:

Jim, Nice truck too. I'd like to find a TT. Since I farm, I think farm plates (tax deduction) without restoring would make a great fencing/work vehicle. Thanks for the truck info guys. Ultimatly, I would love to use a hitch, and pull one of our other cars to town on an open trailer, with a TT.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthony J. Marino on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 09:38 am:

Ray, the Muncie and high speed rear end are a mixed blessing! I scared the c**p outta myself passing a Touring last November in Uvalde, Texas. The two guys in the Touring looked just as scared as I went by. It was the first time I ever passed another T on a tour. I will never do that again! I will just stick in the back of the pack and enjoy the slow ride. Maybe I'll put her in overdrive once in awhile.

My C Cab was originally a farm truck with solid rubber tires, a 7 to 1 rear and probably never ever saw a paved road, let alone 40 mph!

Rob has the right idea above for a hard working TT farm truck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Elkins on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 03:35 pm:

Tony, mine (in my profile) is a Nebraska farm truck with grain bed, although I don't use it for farming here in Ky. It is unrestored though and will remain that way cosmetically. It gets a lot of use running back and forth between my house and two shops moving car parts. Before I try for 40, I think I'm gonna need to get my steering a bit tighter and some new rear tires.

Tell me about the Muncie. Is is similar to a Warford? What ratios do you have with it?

Again, very nice truck!
Ray

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthony J. Marino on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 04:21 pm:

Ray, some specs (another forum link) I have received show that a Muncie has a 1:1.397 overdrive (called 3rd gear) while an old Warford (not a newer Lane built Warford?) has a 1:1.363 overdrive. They both have 1:1 straight thru Model T 2nd gear. Muncie has a 1.792:1 underdrive (called 1st gear)which will allow you to climb trees or go really slow in parades! The Warford has a 1.371:1 underdrive. There is absolutely no synchronization anywhere.

In addition the Muncie has a reverse at 1.792:1. I don't believe the old Warfords had reverse? The Muncie is an H pattern shifter with reverse upper left, 1st lower left, 2nd lower right and 3rd upper right. I mostly just leave it in 2nd and shift it to 3rd for about 5 mph higher speeds at much lower engine rpm.

The Muncie has a special front universal joint that is hard to find. There has been considerable debate that the Muncie does not need a front u-joint since the link is pretty much straight for a very short 4 to 5 inches. The Warford uses the T u-joint up front. They both use the T u-joint in the rear.

They are both VERY heavy cast iron transmissions that hang off the back four bolts on the T engine. An extra support bar is recommended. I am looking for a support bar for my Muncie right now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthony J. Marino on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 04:36 pm:

Oops, I forgot to mention that the Muncie has a straight double female coupler at the rear output. This coupler is also hard to find.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthony J. Marino on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 04:51 pm:

Thanks to John McGinnis for a link to those specs:

http://www.model-t-ford.org/mtfci_pubs/aux_trans/aux_trans.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Elkins on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 05:08 am:

Thanks Tony, some good info there on that site. The main reason I've held off installing the Warford is I'm really wanting one of the OD units that go on the rearend (between the shaft housing and the differential housing). I saw one at Model T Haven on a TT skeleton out back.

I have the original Warford support also, but using the unit on the rearend does away with the need for all that stuff, along with the big shifter standing right in the way in a little cab.

You're right, the Warford has OD, straight-thru, and UD. I really don't know why an auxiliary trans would need a reverse, since the T would have 3 reverse speeds already. Looks like it would just be confusing, for example pushing the reverse pedal to go forward if the aux tranny was in reverse.

Still undecided what I'll do yet. Kinda fun pokin along at 18 mph, but it would be nice to drive my truck to some places instead of trailering it everywhere.
Ray

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthony J. Marino on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 10:06 am:

I don't know much about the Langbein, Borg Warner, Rocky Mountain, etc. rear mounted transmissions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 10:26 am:

Here's a Langbein off a TT that was converted to a tractor, hence the very short driveshaft. It's direct and 1.5:1 OD. It has a bad gear, which I will replace someday.

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By johnd on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 10:32 am:

I have Rocky Mountain 6 spds, Hi-Lo's, Lincoln-Moore, and 1 other.Neat how they all attach to the TT rear-end I run a Aluminum case Warford in my 26 TT sq cab.I have Muncies, Chicago's, cast cased Warfords, and have a case for the 6 spd warford w/good top, gears are bad

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Elkins on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 02:37 pm:

I'd trade a good Warford with support for one of those rear-mounted units if anyone has interest
Ray

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration