Firewall Drip Rail....

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: Firewall Drip Rail....
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 07:05 pm:

I had to replace the wood "firewall" on my '19 Touring (which I believe to be original to the car)because it was split and falling apart in too many places. On top of the wall there was tacked a metal strip that ran partially down the sides and it's shape leads me to believe it was made exactly for this area to cover the edge of the exposed wood. When I installed the new "firewall" I found another type metal strip for the top but this one actually has a channel or gutter on the inner edge to catch water running down the windshield and keeps the water off the "firewall" and engine. Which piece is correct for the wooden "firewall", the one without or with the "gutter"? ....Thanks...Michael Pawelek

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend, Gresham, Orygun on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 07:14 pm:

Michael-
I believe the "with the gutter" firewall drip rail was introduced in 1919. I've got a nice one I'm going to T-bay soon.
-Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Loso on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 07:14 pm:

On our 22 Centerdoor, which is very original, it has the piece with the gutter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 10:05 pm:

That was Ford's attempt to keep your coil box dry. It helped. My '23 has one with the gutter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 09:20 am:

My '21 has the gutter style also.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 07:48 pm:

Michael

From Bruce’s book, “The Model T Ford” he shares on page 240:

From his Price list CD:

Note the factory number of the original weather stip was 8744 shown below:

Note the modified weather strip that now also had the rain gutter was factory number:8748 then 8752 and that the part number had a "B" suffix added to indicate the change.

What does it probably mean? That an early 1919 probably did not have the rain gutter yet. A late 1919 probably did. And for several months during 1919 some assembly plants would be using the old style weather strip while others were using the new style weather strip with the rain gutter. There is a chance that if you reviewed the factory number 8748 and 8752 along with their change cards, a more accurate change over date could be obtained. But I don’t think it would be a single day or even a single month change over. But it could help you bracket the earliest it would have been fielded (assuming it was not fielded before the drawing).

Impact: None if you are not going for a National Trophy winner. In that case the later style with the “rain gutter” is much more practical (I plan to use it on my 1918 which clearer would not have come with it) at keeping more of the water off the wooden firewall and the coil box insulators etc.

What does it probably mean? That an early 1919 probably did not have the rain gutter yet. A late 1919 probably did. And for several months during 1919 some assembly plants would be using the old style weather strip while others were using the new style weather strip with the rain gutter. There is a chance that if you reviewed the factory number 8748 and 8752 along with their change cards, a more accurate change over date could be obtained. But I don’t think it would be a single day or even a single month change over. But it could help you bracket the earliest it would have been fielded (assuming it was not fielded before the drawing).

Impact: None if you are not going for a National Trophy winner. In that case the later style with the “rain gutter” is much more practical (I plan to use it on my 1918 which clearly would not have come with it) at keeping more of the water off the wooden firewall and the coil box insulators etc.

How can you help us better document when the change occurred? In your case it sounded like you were fairly sure the non-rain gutter came on your car. You may have already provide me with the approximate date of the car – but if you will post it below: Non-rain gutter Month 1919 that would help.

This should be an easy one to capture data on. You can just post it on this thread and I will get back to it later when I have more time. We do not need 1918 and earlier or 1920 and later cars to share. (If you have the opposite of what we thought it should be – yes, please share – but otherwise we will assume pre-1919s had the metal weather strip without the rain gutter and 1920 and later cars had the metal weather strip with the rain gutter. If others with a 1919 that they believe the weather strip was original for their car would simply share the approximate date of their car (usually close to the engine serial number date if that was not changed out) and if it does NOT have the rain gutter similar to below from the Jul - Aug 1979 Vintage Ford page 16:

Or if it has the rain gutter as shown below (also from the Jul - Aug 1979 Vintage Ford):

If it doesn’t have either – you can share that but the drawings indicate it should have had one or the other. If you have any other related details such as where it might have been assembled (most of us do NOT have those details – but a few folks do) please let us know.

Sometimes we can use the “fossil record” to help supplement the “written records” that are available.

Thank you for your help.

Respectfully submitted/requested,

Hap Tucker 1915 Model T Ford touring cut off and made into a pickup truck and 1907 Model S Runabout. Sumter SC.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration