Another TT discovery

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: Another TT discovery
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 10:31 pm:

When I got the rear springs off of the TT frame, I thought each spring had eight leaves. Then when I was sandblasting the frame, something fell out. It was the remaining piece of the actual top leaf.

Here's the top (#1) leaf on top of the #2 leaf. Wire brushing the rust off the #2 leaf revealed the faint outline left by the broken off part of the #1 leaf. I've marked it with soapstone in the picture. The top leaf of the other spring also stayed in the frame, and is broken in about the same place. So if anybody's bringing TT sprngs to Chickasha, I can use a couple of top leaves.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 10:53 pm:

If you had a longer 1,could it be cut with a plasma cutter to make it the right lenght?

I have some extras but I dont know which 1's.I have a complete set to use in the 2'd chassis I got last year.But I have some from a old bent frame and I am purty sure most are short.
Unless the river floods over the I40 bridge,I should be at Chickensaw at some point during the swap meet.If I have something you can use I will let you know.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 11:04 pm:

There must be some flaw in the way they flex under a load. Mine had one the same as your picture and the other was missing altogether.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 11:09 pm:

Mack, these top leaves are 5 3/4" long. If you have those, that would be perfect. If not, I guess I could do as you suggest and get a couple of longer ones cut down to the proper length.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By johnd on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 11:46 pm:

Steve we've had to cut several longer ones to make the top ones, lots of times the top ones will be intact, but where that holder pin goes thru they will crack, so if you need a pr of longer ones I'll throw a pr on the truck (to be cut) 10.00 ea. let me know still loading. danuser88@socket.net

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Mortensen on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 08:51 am:

My guess is that the "flaw" in design was simply the fact that the Ton Truck was used to carry more than 1 Ton.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Elkins on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 02:55 pm:

I agree Warren. A ton isn't much in volume when you're hauling sand or gravel, even manure. A farmer would want to get all he could on the truck with one trip. I remember reading a story somewhere on the web about a fella hauling bricks and loading the truck so heavy it was making ruts in the brick street. Most folks see their working trucks' limit at whatever the bed will hold. My TT grain bed would hold far more than a ton of grain.
Ray

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By steamboat on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 10:57 pm:

We had a puddle at the end of our driveway and needed some gravel. I took my TT in to the local garden supply yard and asked for a ton and a half of gravel. The guy asked me what I wanted to haul it in and I pointed and said, "That black truck over there". He asked, "Are you serious?" I said, "Of course." "Then put it on the scales." he said. I cranked it up, drove it onto the scales, and while the engine was idling, they put 3000 lbs of gravel into it. As I drove it off the scales and out of the yard the whole yard crew and other customers were cheering us on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Mortensen on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 06:15 am:

I did some quick calculating using a TT with an 8 x 6 x 3 Ft. box. This will hold 115 bushels. Say 100 to allow some freeboard.
Oats @ 32lb per bushel = 3200 lb.
Wheat @ 60lb per bushel = 6000 lb.
Shelled corn @ 56lb per bushel = 5600 lb.
Wet brewery malt @ 64lb per bushel = 6400 lb.

Even if you halve the load, only oats falls in the 1 ton limit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 12:02 pm:

Ray,

Those sides on your truck were getting mighty close to 3' before you took the upper portion off, weren't they?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 05:13 pm:

Steve,I checked the "junque" pile and guess what? I only have 1 spring leaf the lenght you need.It is in the truck and the Chicken will be able to say he saw it in Chickensaw!
You are welcome to it,if it will help you.It is pitted.
I remember some springs being broken from that "mess" I drug out of the woods in Anson county about 1997 or so for parts.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration