'26-27 Steering Shaft Question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: '26-27 Steering Shaft Question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Humble on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 09:52 am:

Is the 26-27 steering shaft with 5:1 ratio gearing the same shaft as used in earlier years with a 4:1, but with different gears? does the gear pin that extends below the spider to prevent oversteering exist on steering shafts prior to 26-27? I need to replace my steering shaft and really want to know if any shaft will work or is the 26-27 shaft unique?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 09:55 am:

You will have to replace it with another one just like it. The 4:1 had slightly different spacing on gears. The safty pin feature was added about 1921-22.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 11:28 am:

Don't replace the 5-1 shaft with a 4-1. The 5-1 gives you much better control of the steering, and by the way, was introduced in 1925.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By scott rosenthal on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 12:24 pm:

Jack:
Can the 5:1 gear set and shaft be easily retrofitted to the early brass gear housings, and is it also feasible to machine the later style "over-steer" arch shaped slot into the early riveted brass housing? More specifically, does machining this slot into the 2 piece assembly significantly weaken the assembly?
Regards,
Scott Rosenthal

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Harper on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 02:45 pm:

Hi Scott,
Sorry, but no, the 5:1 will not fit into the early gear box as the gear pitch is different. The assembly won't fit.

In regards to the adding the slot, I don't think that there is enough material at the base of the two piece gear box to allow for machining that slot.

My two cents worth. Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 03:09 pm:

For what it's worth,I agree with Bill.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By scott rosenthal on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 04:43 pm:

Many thanks gentlemen. I had a sense that I had not seen this retrofit on early cars for a good reason.
Best Regards,
Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Humble on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 09:20 am:

Can someone provide some features or dimensions on a 26-27 steering shaft that I can look for so I could pick one out of a pile of mixed year shafts at a swap meet?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By johnd on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 09:43 am:

There will be a number 5 on the face where the 3 gears go, also when you buy the kit from the dealers for the 5:1 set-up, thats why the shaft is included

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Humble on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 04:31 pm:

Great! thats the info I was looking for, thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nelson Jones on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 09:26 pm:

Arent the pins 1&3/8 from center to center on the 5.1 shafts? Nelson

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Fultz on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 10:36 pm:

There is a photo and specs in the Ford service manual. I think that's the book. It's a blue hard back on how to repair the T. Mine is in the garage and I'll scan a copy and post it tomorrow. But I don't think it will answer your question on machinning the slot.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration