Not T But Close, Fordson Valves

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: Not T But Close, Fordson Valves
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 10:45 am:

I know that this not T, but it is close. Does anyone know a modern valve that will work in a 1926 Fordson tractor, need both intake and exhaust. Thanks, Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 11:25 am:

You can get Fordson parts here including modern stainless valves:

http://www.thefordsonhouse.com/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 05:13 pm:

Thanks, I know about Fordson house, was wanting to know if there is a valve from another modern engine that will work that I can get local. Thanks, Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken - SAT on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 12:03 am:

I think you can do better than the $16.50 each that FH wants for valves. Take an old valve to an engine machine shop and have them match it up. They have listings by size.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Fielding on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 11:18 am:

Dan,
I may have some information at home. If I remember right there are no direct replacements, as in the stem drilled.So the replacements either had to be drilled or you had to change over to the two piece tapered type of keepers.
I'll check my stuff tonight and try to get it posted tomarrow.
Kevin

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 10:04 pm:

The problem with the Fordson valve is it is really long with a small diameter stem. I am working on a Fordson and was in need of valves. The repro valves are stock dimensions only. I wanted a valve with a larger head and stem diameter so I could ream the worn out guides and grind the seats to bring the valves back up on top of the deck, same as I do with T blocks using chevy 350 or ford 351 valves. What I came up with were valves from a Cummins diesel engine. The N14 valves work best. L10 or M11 will work also but the stems are .375" so you have to really hose out the guides. Diesel rebuilders always replace the valves when reconditioning heads so you might be able to get some used ones from a Cummins dealer on the cheap. They cost more than Fordson House valves new. They will need to be shortened and the retainer pin holes drilled.
Fordially,, Erik

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 06:15 am:

Erik: Thanks, that was the info I was looking for. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Fielding on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 10:27 am:

Dan,
Here is what I had at home. It came from the Fordson Newsletter that Jack Heald published a few years back.
D-6 Cat pony motor valves, (as mentioned need to ream the block for larger stem size) Part numbers #1F3473 intake, and #1F3474 exhaust. For retainers the part numbers are #2M1778 retainer, and #2A4429 for the lock.
IHC model WD-9 valves can be made to fit (need to be machined, not sure whether head or stem size)
Lifters from 1938 Dodge 6cyl fit and are adjustable.
IHC Farmall 400 valve guides and valves fit, but are a little short, so you need to use adjustable lifters from WWII era Willys-Jeep. These lifters fit in the block perfectly and are longer to compensate for the shorter valves
Also I had in my notes that Perfect Circle brand valves, part# 211-2176 will fit but have oversized stems.
Hope this helps, you might also try posting on Harry's Home page. Look for the discussion forum on Vintage Tractors, they are a really active group and you may get some more recent information.
Harrys is located at www.old-engine.com
Good Luck,
Kevin

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration