Rim Spreader Question???

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: Rim Spreader Question???
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Lawthers on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 07:08 pm:

Well I finally had my first flat the other day on my 26 Touring and now I need to figure out how to fix the flat, or better yet replace the tire and tube. Actually, I really need to replace all of the old tires and tubes since I have no idea how old they really are.
I have 21 inch demountable rims. I do not have a rim spreader.
I see from other threads that you can use rounded 2X4's to spread the rim back out to close it.
Is there a way to collapse the rim without a rim spreader to get the tire off.
Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
Tom L 26 Touring

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Harrison on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 10:00 pm:

Use a turnbuckle with some s-hooks at the ends to collapse it. Hook into the eyes that hold the rim on, just be careful not to distort or twist it up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Lawthers on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 06:17 pm:

Thanks for the info David.
I must have some turnbuckles somewhere around here. Are we talking about something of a large size of turnbuckle, or maybe something in the order of 8-12 inch? Do you want to pull the rim from three points like a rim spreader would do?
Thanks again, Tom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Harrison on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 10:03 pm:

You can use a turn buckle that is 8-12 inches long, just add some chain to the end to get the right distance. You can pull between two of the lugs, you don't need to pull from 3 points. But this assumes that you don't have to pull too hard so you won't distort the rim.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Alongi on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 10:42 pm:

Tom,

The 26 came with a rim spreader, haven't used it yet so I saved this thread. The homemade spreader is from the Sept/Oct 2005 Vintage Ford.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/37596.html?1192589376

Alex

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 06:33 am:

Tom, the turn buckle works great, I welded a bolt on each end of mine and finger tighten a nut on at the two nearest lugs, you can then use it to push it back out to lock. In my opinion there is less chance of damaging the rim than with a rim spreader. also alot lighter to take on tour. Keith B

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration