Rear end roller bearings

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: Rear end roller bearings
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Hudson on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 11:30 am:

Where can I get a quality roller bearing for my T? I read on here some were substandard to the point of being dangerous.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 11:58 am:

Next time you go to a swapmeet, bring a micrometer with you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By johnd on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 01:52 pm:

Im taking a milkcase that is covered on the bottom w/original roller bearings, bring your micrometer to Chickasha

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 05:39 pm:

Robert:

New Ford rollers mic'ed out at .500"

New Ford Pinion bearing rollers at .562"

Bearing rollers with.005 wear are generally acceptable to most.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Hudson on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 07:26 pm:

I'm in Nova Scotia, used parts, especially good used are very hard to come by. Unfortunatly, the distance also means I won't be coming to Chickasha.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 08:58 pm:

I toss them if they're worn to smaller than .498" or if they have loose cages. A loose cage will allow the rollers to urn at a slight angleon the axle, causing undue wear. Remember that the undersize of the individual roller actually shows up as double the play between the bearing and the axle. So, a bearing with .005' wear will give you .010" up and down play on the axle in the housing. Add in a little wear on the axle itself and you'll soon have great plenty of "slop".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 10:57 pm:

Robert:

I'll check the bearings I have in the garage tomorrow. Do you need all 4 or just 2 ?? The vendors sell the correct bearing sleeves for about $ 18.00 each. They are made to Ford specs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Hudson on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 08:35 am:

Bob, I only need two, Someone absconded with them before I got the rear end so they could put them in an earlier rear end, so it came with inners, no outers. And it did come with new sleeves installed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bill leahy on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 09:08 am:

i don't mean to change the subject but what about the drive shaft roller bearings that are available? i have an obviously old nors bearing and sleeve made in west germany. has anyone had any experience with this particular bearing?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 09:33 am:

Don't know about the West German bearings. But, for some info on the currently available drive shaft rollers, read the following;

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/47804.html

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration