Fixing an exhaust port

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: Fixing an exhaust port
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 09:18 pm:

Has anyone ever fixed a burned exhaust port? I have a block with a port that will not kept a gasket in it very long. I was thinking about blasting the port clean, then brazing up the port to replace the metal, putting the block on a surface grinder to level the surface of the intake/exhaust ports. Then using a milling machine to cut the step for the gland back in the block. Anyone ever had to fix one like this? Thanks, Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard G.Goelz Knoxville,Tn on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 09:33 pm:

Dan,i had a worn out port that had been blowing by a long time ,it was like this when i bought the car,Ron Miller machine in Ohio rebuilt my engine and somehow installed what looks like hardened valve seats in the block to replace the worn ports,i don't know how they did it but you could call them and they would tell you.Robert Carden may do this also.
Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 06:23 am:

Rick: Do you have the number for Ron Miller? Thanks, Dan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 06:25 am:

Ron's Machine Shop Shandon, OH 513-738-7353

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Martin on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 06:29 am:

A temporary fix would be to braze up the manifold to give more surface for gasket contact beyond the worn block area. Would'nt have to pull the block, and would be as effective.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By johnd on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 12:29 pm:

Ron goes to Chickasha also, if you can't get him next week

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration