Quick connecting rod question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: Quick connecting rod question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 09:39 pm:

If a fellow exchanges a set of used connecting rods for a rebuilt set,can you install them and set the clearance with the plastigage or is there machineing nessasary before they can be used?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 09:48 pm:

Has your crank been turned? If not, you will have an almost impossible task of fitting the new rods.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 10:05 pm:

Nope,the crank hasnt been worked on.There wasnt much shiming under 2 of the connecting rods,and the other 2 had no shims.Engine was quite, no knocking.But I am fiqureing on driveing the speedster,so I thought about putting reman rods in it.
I have the crank mains fitted decent.took a while.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 10:07 pm:

If you don't plan on turning it,I'd just check clearances on the rods you have and run them. they might just outlast all of us.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 10:08 pm:

Thank ye sir.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 10:07 am:

My dad's fordor has been going for about 20 years and 17,000 miles and has not yet had a shim removed. In 20,000 miles my Roadster has had a shim removed from one or two rods. (Original babbit too.) Do as Jack says and keep the oil level up and you should do O.K.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Bunner on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 11:21 am:

Mack. I just found this out as well, yesterday. But, there is a test that needs to be done before you use the rods. There is a gauge that you sit the piston and rod down on top of that measures how straight the rod is. The man in Lexington N.C. told me that all new rods come bent! Then he showed me the gauge and how to use it... Not necessarily a showstopper, but if you are going to do it right, then I would get them checked!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration