1915 Headlamp Wiring

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: 1915 Headlamp Wiring
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brent in 10-uh-C on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 12:09 pm:

Am I overlooking a wiring harness for the 1915 headlamps in any of the dealer catalogs? Who sells this, --or do I need to make it myself?

If I need to make it, does anyone have some detailed pictures showing what it originally looked like specifically showing the routeing, insulation cloth color, etc. they could either post or send me?

Thanks!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 12:27 pm:

Hi Brent.

You do need to make it, or at elast I had to make mine... I ran a wire from the magneto post of the coil box to the headlight switch, then another from the headlight switch down the passenger side of the hood former, along the lip of the sill/frame to one terminal of the passenger side headlight, another wire from the second terminal of the passenger side light to one terminal of the drivers side light, then the second terminal of the drivers side light goes to ground. The bulbs are wired in series. I used cloth covored wire and tried used old clips similar to the old fuel line clips to route the wires. It isn't Ford spec but it looks good.

If you run at a fairly high rpm you need to expect to blow magneto bulbs regularly, and they are hard to come by now.

Something that was suggested to me was to use single filament, 2 post 6VDC bulbs in place of magneto bulbs for the headlights, and to run an electric tailight, using a 12V bulb, in parralel with the headlight series circuit. I did this without damaging my tailight by drilling through the tailight mounting bolt to run the wires, and putting a bulb holder (press fit) in the top of the chimney so the bulb is near where a lit wick would be. I have not popped any bulbs since.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Mullin on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 12:45 pm:

Brent,

This drawing shows an early ignition diagram.

early-wiring-diagram

The timer wires are color coded (Black, Blue, Red, Green) but no color is mentioned for the lamp wires. I think the ones in my 1916 are sort of a Yellow color. Since the original lamps were conected in series, I suspect the entire run of lamp wires would be the same color.

One big downside to this method of wiring is, if one lamp goes out, they both go out. Like the old Italian Christmas lights. You might want to wire them in parallel to eliminate this problem.

Tom
Detroit

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Guy D Nelli on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 04:42 pm:

brent, you can buy the wire harness for the 1915 ford T. if i remember who i got it from i'll let you know (it even had the metal tags on it stamped w/ford.) Gary , kieth told me , he uses a 12 volt bat w/ 1196 12 v bulbs for the headlights, but must be wired parralel

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By hdaw on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 04:47 pm:

A wire wound heavy reastat can be put in series with the wiring going to the headlights and used to keep the light bulbs from burning out. If one is not available, check with someone who has been a ham radio operator for a long time. He is sure to have some in one of his treasure boxes.
Harry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 08:08 pm:

Hi Guy.

I agree if a 12v battery is used you'd need the headlights in parllel. I don't have a battery in my car other then a very small sealed 6V I use for starting the car. I run my lights on magneto. The principal hdaw mentions is the same as my using the 12V tail light bulb in parrale with my series headlights on mag. I've run the car this way for years and never blown a bulb yet.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration